We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connect PC to WIFI

bluenickel

Likes # 0

Hello,

I’m trying to connect my pc in an outside office to the house wifi. Sometimes it brings up the house wifi and other times it doesn’t – guess I need some sort of booster?? Also when it does bring it up and I try to connect it says my pc IP address needs updating. I have no idea how to solve this and don’t want to spend money on a booster if that’s not the answer. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

Has this PC previously been connected by ethernet to your "house wifi"? If not, I suggest that you do this and the IP address may be rectified. If it doesn't then there may be a Winsock Error - this may be rectified by resetting the TCP/IP stack and resetting the Winsock. You do not say which OS you are using.

You need to get the command prompt (Windows 7 type in CMD), XP start, run, type in CMD.

You will then get the black box.

Type in

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

restart PC

If this does not work get the command prompt again and type in

netsh winsock reset catalog

restart PC.

It sounds as if you will need some sort of booster/repeater - daisy chaining another router often works. Another consideration is the use of a Home Plug if your outside office is on the same electrical circuit as the house. Most people use these with an ethernet connection but wireless ones are available but usually cost more. Have a read of this article, it may help.

Like this post
bluenickel

Likes # 0

Thanks very much.

No it's never been connected by ethernet so I'll give that a go.

It's Windows XP.

The office is one the house mains. One thing I didn't mention is that my office is an aluminium build, do you know if this would affect the reception if I got a home plug?

Sorry to be asking stupid questions but I'm rubbish when it comes to this sort of stuff!

Thanks

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

Blue, what level of wireless signal strength does your office PC receive? If you don't know how to tell then right-click on your wireless connection icon, click "View Available Wireless Networks" and look at what it shows for your network. If it's only showing one or two green bars then let us know how you're connecting. If it's via a USB wireless adapter then does the PC's case shield the wireless signal coming from the house? If it does then move the adapter from the back to the front, or vice-versa.

PS: Resetting your Winsock is usually a last resort for connections that are permanently broken as it has the potential to break things such as anti-virus and firewall programs.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

my office is an aluminium build, do you know if this would affect the reception if I got a home plug

Would have no effect on the home plug, home plug is far more reliable than wireless for that situation.

Have you tried changing the wireless Channel in the router as interference from a neighbour using the same channel can cause drop outs?

Like this post
bluenickel

Likes # 0

Thanks very much guys, I connected my pc via ethernet and it's fine, I then then wireless with the pc in the house and that worked. But as soon as I moved it outside again the connection got lost. I also tried with a couple of home laptops and the connection for them was lost/really low outside (1 green bar max).

It's a USB wireless adapter, the PC casing doesn't shield the USB adapter at all.

I'm going to try changing the channel and if theres no joy a plug in, and advice on the best plug in to buy? (i'm guessing the most expensive!!)

Thanks very much

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Like this post
bluenickel

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, that seems a really good price. Sorry to ask stupid questions but would I put the in my outside office then connect an ethernet cable to it or do I put it in the main router in the house to boost it. Sorry to be so thick but when i try and read up on it I get completely lost!!!

Like this post
bluenickel

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, that seems a really good price. Sorry to ask stupid questions but would I put the in my outside office then connect an ethernet cable to it or do I put it in the main router in the house to boost it. Sorry to be so thick but when i try and read up on it I get completely lost!!!

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 1

No probs. Leave router as it is currently situated in the house and connect with supplied ethernet cable to router. Second homeplug in outside office with ethernet cable (supplied) from homeplug to laptop. I hope that is clear.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

Thanks for the info bluenickel.

It looks to me like the wireless signal reaching your outside office is simply too weak to give a reliable network connection.

"advice on the best plug in to buy? (i'm guessing the most expensive!!)"

No! There's no need to pay silly money for big-name brands such as Netgear. Zac's TP-Link recommendation is a good one and Broadbandbuyer is a reputable retailer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days