We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Office will not instal

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, had a few problems with XP pro and had to re-instal it. I thought I had recovered most of my programs from my backup but some don`t seem to work. Microsoft Office is fairly important to me. It shows in "All Programs" but when I try to start Word for example the message is "Problem with Shortcut" "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". Tried re-installing it from the CD but after I had entered the license key I got "msiexec.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". Any suggestions please.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I use XXclone for backups, normally just a matter of copying one drive to another. In this case I had to re-instal XP on C as I could not boot from it nor could I boot from the backup as it is on USB drive so I could not access XXclone to run it. I did not anticipate that scenario. Anyway does anyone know how I can get Office to instal.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

One final post about the XXcopy clone or any clone program. I don't think it is possible to clone from an ext usb drive to the currently in use C: drive that you have started the proceedure from. That would mean the present contents of C: drive are wiped to be replaced by the clone contents and you have wiped the program you are trying to use.

Re MS Office, have you tried the Repair option from the CD?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Good point Lotvic, may well have been the cause of the prob. If I can find my Acronis disk I may try using that in future. Do you mean the repair option from the XP CD or is there an option on the Office CD also?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

bumpkin - just in case lotvic is busy and you are eager for a reply - the option to repair is from your Office CD

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks, I have now started XP repair so will wait for that to end then have a look at the Office CD.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Eureka the answer at last. Ran the XP repair then put the Office CD in and entered the key and all fired up and working. Many thanks to all.

Ray

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia