We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removing unwanted vulgar advertising links on Facebook

wildhouse

Likes # 0

Apologies - this is probably the wrong forum but I don't know where to post to get help with this. Can anyone help me? I have started getting vulgar ads on my Facebook homepage - pictures and Youtube links of women in vulgar poses are constantly on my homepage. I have never clicked on any link to induce this. Anyone know how I can get rid of them? It has got to the stage that I am going to stop using Facebook as I don't like being confronted with these ads. Thanks for any help

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

you could try a security sweep with whatever you have as you may have picked up a dodgy programme somewhere along the line.

johnny

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Showing my ignorance now - what is a security sweep?

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Click on the little down arrow at the top right of the post you will get a drop down menu - click on report story and hide.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Borderview, do you mean in Facebook to report the ad/story?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't use Facebook but this is interesting reading, it relates to Chrome, but could be extensions/plugins on other browser, click here.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi rdave. I have checked and don't have either of these extensions enabled in Chrome. Typically the video links are not showing at the moment so will check them when they do. Sometimes it is just a picture that pops up - it is where there is often an ad, but there is drop down list on the top right so no arrow to report it as spam. However, I also use Firefox, and the picture ad is often there, too, although I don't think I have spotted the video links there so far. Will check again later. Thanks for all suggestions.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Sorry I've just got back to you. Yes I mean the posts on Facebook. At the top right of each post is a little arrow, click on that and you get a drop down menu. When you have clicked on report posting and then hide, the post is hidden. You then get the choice of hiding all posts from that particular site.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi Borderview It was not the actual posts that were unwanted, it was adverts. Think I have found the reason thanks to rdave13. I disabled an extension called Bit Accelerator which was on both Firefox and Google Chrome about 90 minutes ago and the adverts have not returned. On Googling Bit Accelerator, it says it is something to do with video downloads - it must have snuck in when I downloaded a Youtube clip! Thanks to all for your help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad it's sorted wildhouse. Check your programs and features to see if it is listed there and uninstall it. While you're there scan to see if any other program is listed you're not sure of then check with Google.

As johnnyrocker said earlier, I'd also run scans with your security program/s, just to be sure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...