We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to keep my new laptop running efficiently?

Pineman100

Likes # 0

I've just bought a new laptop. Core i5, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Windows 8 64-bit.

I have a habit of loading my computer very heavily with both software and data files - particularly image files. I am a photography enthusiast, and my current machine's HDD has 31,000 image files on it, totalling 241 GB. All software and data on the machine are on the C: drive.

I have two external HDDs that I use for backups - one of 1TB and one of 2TB.

Can you please advise me on the best way to keep my new laptop running at peak efficiency? Should I, for example, partition the HDD and keep all my data on a separate partition from my system and software? Will that reduce startup and operating times?

If I keep all of my image files on an external USB HDD, will that help? And will I notice a a considerable slowdown in the speed of moving, copying or opening those files (the HDD is USB2)?

I'd be very grateful for any and all advice on keeping my new machine streamlined and fast.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Partition the drive, leave the op system on a partition with 20% spare space.

load your programs to another partition and data to a third.

using the USB2 external as a working drive is too slow for photo / video work.

Image the op system partition - keeping this partition small +20% makes for quicker imaging and replacing if windows has a problem.

back up your data partition regularly to the external drive

Use something like CCleaner to keep the rubbish files down I clear about 400Mb daily that soon mounts up

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/. Sounds like excellent advice.

The following are probably stupid questions, but I've never operated with separate partitions before.

I imagine that, when I install software, I have to tell Windows to load it into a different partition each time. After that, presumably Windows always knows where to find it?

What about data files? If my Libraries folder (containing the My Documents, My Pictures, etc. folders) is on a different drive, does Windows automatically know this?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have to tell Windows to load it into a different partition each time. After that, presumably Windows always knows where to find it?

Select custom install when loading new software and you can then decide exactly where to install it windows puts the file location in the registryand therfore knows where to run it from.

If my Libraries folder (containing the My Documents, My Pictures, etc. folders) is on a different drive, does Windows automatically know this?

In Windows 7 Computer

1. On left you see Libraries, click it, it will drop down with Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos

2. Click on each of them and check on top it says how many locations are pointing to that library, click on (2 Locations link)

3. Remove second location, Public one

4. Now go to your D: disk or partition and make new folder, or not (depends where you want (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos to display)

5. Just drag from first window My Documents with right mouse clicked to new location, after dropping item on new location pick option move, it will will ask some question accept it.

That is it, now your Libraries are stored on other partition or disk, and still pointing in your main as your documents, your libraries, etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund