We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

right click menu - open has disappeared from menu

nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Hi,I have windows xp service pack 3. Just recently open has disappeared from top of right click menu for SOME shortcuts but not others.(very confusing)Can this be rectified? Thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like it lost it file association for some files.

For those programs affected right click select properties - shortcut tab what is showing in the target box? navigate to the target file and eneter in the target box

i.e.

Paint - C:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Sorry,but it will not let me put back slashes etc in shortcut icons affected

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do you have an open with option on the right click menu for each short cut?

if so browse to the location of the file and click to re-associate with the short cut.

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat,That is the problem.Some shortcuts ok open at top of right click menu and others all with print at head of list and no open.My simple nuisance answer is to drag them onto the likes of google chrome and they open there.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What sort of files are they?

some scripts for associating files in XP can be found here

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for continued interest Fruit Bat.I'm afraid I do not know what I am looking for.All I can say is some shortcuts ie to browsers and favourite sites open ok while others (it seems randomly to me) do not and have this 'print' as first item on list instead of open as first. And those I have to drag to browser window to open.Would it do any harm to try the likes of folder fix? Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are we talking desktop shortcuts or things in your browsers favourites list?

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Thanks.It is desktop shortcuts Browsers favourites are ok.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you have the page open in your browser, I would try making a new shortcut to the webpage and then delete the old one that doesn't have the open on r/click menu.

To make new desktop shortcut to a webpage, just drag the favicon (website icon at the left of the url) to your desktop.

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

I dragged a few on to desktop but still remained shotened right click with no open as first

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...