We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP, wifi connection switched off on laptop

athenrye

Likes # 0

hi I have a dell laptop 1545 that is now running windows 8 for a week and been great, 100% with no issues from a new clean install...

however today grandchild was pressing keys on it, and it think he pressed the F2 off key

I have chacked various forums and it seems that either F2 or Fn+F2 switches it back on, sometimes if you hold it down for 30 sec to a min

this isn't working ive checked the hardware and it says the cards are working properly...

is it something to do with the fact the laptop used to run Vista and dell software, now its been upgraded to windows 8 these f2 functions don't work?

if that's the case why does it seem its switched it off?

I see the internet connection in the start tray with greyed out with "not connected- connections available" why is this so hard?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check in SERVICES to see if WLAN is running - if not RESTART the Service.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fn + F2 one quick press to change

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

hi Northumbria, I checked that and it was running... just looked and the wifi is now working! ive pressed F2 that many bloody times I don't know what has and hasn't worked

fruit I tried what you said so may times as that whats in the manual it didn't seem to work, id love to switch it off and try switching it back on again but im not going through those few hours again!!!

thanks for the help why are they made to drive you crazy!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It has to be both keys together

funny hold a child can work technology when us oldies struggle :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide