We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer stopped working, can't reinstall

songbird72884

Likes # 0

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and recently started having a lot of issues, all at once. In the space of about 2 days, printer stopped working, my computer slowed down dramatically (from a boot time of about 1 min to more like 20 mins) and began freezing/ crashing at random intervals, and sometimes booting to a black screen.

However, I seem to have managed to solve the computer issues, but the printer issue remains. I have an HP PSC 1402 All-In-One printer which, until now, has worked without a problem. Withtin the last few days, it's gone from problem-free to rife with problems. An example of the typical scenario is as follows (including unnecessary but possibly useful preamble):

-I plug in my printer to the computer (it's a USB one and the cable is very short so I have to only connect it when needed) -The usual 'installing Device software' icon appears in the bottom right corner, as it does with every USB-connected peripheral. -A red circle with an 'x' appears, at which point I click it, only to find the error 'HP PSC 1400 Series ....... X Failed' -I go to Devices and Printers and click 'Add Printer' and an error pops up stating that the operation cannot be completed because the print spooler is not running. It asks me to restart the spooler or restart the computer. (I've tried both, but for purposes of explanation, I'll continue with what happens in the first instance) -I go into the Services menu and right-click the Print Spooler and click 'Start', at which point it starts without issue. -I click on 'Add Printer' again, and this time receive an error with code 0x000006be, stating that the Add Printer operation can't be started

The problem is that I've downloaded the drivers from the HP website, restarted the spooler, restarted the computer, checked for viruses, cleared the 'drivers' section (as suggested on another tech site) and never seem to be able to get this sorted. I can't think what is causing the problem, but it's driving me nuts.

Is this more likely to be a problem with the computer, the software, or the printer? And is it likely to be solvable or should we resort to buying a new printer instead?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
songbird72884

Likes # 0

After reading that tutorial that you linked, I noticed that a few of the registry entries listed in the post were missing. I clicked through to another page which listed entries that needed to be merged into the registry because default drivers were missing, however that was for Win XP. Is there a way to check whether there are entries missing and to add them where needed in Win 7? I'm not too familiar with the driver side of things, so I don't really know what I would need to search for, nor how to utilise it once I found it.

Thank you so much, by the way! I hadn't been able to find the same scenario anywhere, so that link was very helpful

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A few points:

When unplugging and re-plugging in the printer, do you use the same usb socket, because sometimes, using different sockets from those originally used can bring possible problems.

The other point is the driver you are trying to install. Have you checked with the printer manufacturer services, to see if another driver is available for installation purposes?.

Regarding the cable, these are fairly cheap, and come in all sizes, so in reality there should be no reason to keep un-installing the printer. Have you thought about this?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I had the same sort of problem with my printer.The only way I could get it to run again was by removing it completely using revo uninstaller.

Once I did that I rebooted the computer and ran the set up CD again and that was the only way I could get it to run.

Now I leave my printer connected to my computer at all times but switched off.

I hope I do not need to go through the same senario the next time that I want to use it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove all USB devices except keyboard and mouse.

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device (printer) and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad