We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2nd Hardrive not showing after boot problem follin bios battery replacement

Roadgiant
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'll start by giving a bit of background, my computer wasn't retaining the time after powering off. I changed the CMOS as that appeared to be the problem looking around the net. I have 2 hard drives on my PC (win 7 op system asus P5-nd), after changing the battery, PC wouldn't boot coming up with the message "bootmgr missing" I then went into the bios on startup, set the PC to boot from DVD then did a repair of w7 which told me I had a problwm with boot (which I allready knew),managed to getthe PC booting fine from the primary drive. So far so good, PC now up and running, but only one drive showing.Went into disc management,2nd drive notshowing, rebooted into setup, only one drive showing The 2nd larger drive only has some video images on, which ideally I could do with accessing,first drive has opp system, program files etc. Any suggestions, many thanks RG

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd remove the second hard drive from the PC and put it in to a caddy. Boot up, then connect the second hard drive via usb so that you can take off all your documents. Make sure that all docs are available to use, not corrupted, before formatting the usb second drive. Reinstall the second drive physically to the desktop. See if Windows now sees it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Does the 2nd drive show in BIOS?

You may have to Enable certain SATA port in BIOS for the drive to show.

Like this post
Roadgiant

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies, \i havn't got a caddy at the moment, so can't try that one. Only one drive is showing in the bios. Also I forgot to mention that I seem to have "inherited" a floppy disc drive "A" that doesnt exist!!!"

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Are you sure you don't have an OS on the second drive? Classic symptoms of what Windows would do if two OSs installed on different drives and is confused. The A drive will be your second hard drive.

Like this post
Roadgiant

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help and advice,problem now sorted, loose SATA cable going to the 2nd drive,probabally caused by me when I was replacing CMOS battery,I had to move the graphics card to get to the battery and in doing so must have dislodged cable. Ocew again thanks for the help RG

Like this post  
Roadgiant

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"inherited" a floppy disc drive "A" that doesnt exist!!!" ' thats because you have changed the CMOS battery and the settings have reverted to default.

just disable floppy seek and floppy controller (FDD FDC) in the BIOS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK