We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I want to re-install xp on a Dell Mini

ened

Likes # 0

I have a friend's little machine.

Apparently it went wrong and somebody (trying to help) installed win7 on it.

I need to install xp and have the disc and an external drive which is connected by usb. When I put the disc in during operation (incidentally there is NO spare space on the Hard Drive and only 1 gig of memory)the install option is blanked out.

I have changed the boot options to: Removable Device, then USB, then cd/dvd etc and finally main disc.

Whatever order I try it keeps booting to the main drive.

How on earth am I going to get this os back on this machine?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Dell Mini CMOS battery (depending on your model) can be purchased either from here or any local computer store (even BOOTS chemist) it is a CR2032

enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

ened -Post further info of your model if you need any further help.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

I understand what you are saying but I have checked and the BIOS is remembering the boot options I require.

For some reason it is ignoring these and reverting to the HDD. I know the xp disc is okay because I have used it before and I know the dvd drive is connected and being read but I am going to try to get my hands on another xp disc to see if that is the problem.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

ened - try giving the disc a good clean first. It may just do the trick.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I still think you are going to have to look at replacing the CMOS battery eventually if the time/date is not displaying correctly as this is one of the first indications of it failing. However I can see your main priority is to get "up and running" again.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

northumbria61 Thanks for all your help.

All I really want to do is get xp back on it, find the drivers and give it back.

The battery is not being charged even when it is plugged in, which I do all the time. When I went to reset the clock I discovered it was set on New York time.

What I need to find out is whether the battery (Not cmos - the main one)is shot or if there is a driver which will tell it to charge. Currently the message is : Plugged in - NOT CHARGING. I am assured that it used to charge before win7 was installed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Laptop Battery not showing Charging 1. Turn off the computer, 2. Take the battery out 3. Take out the power supply 4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds. 5. Reconnect power supply 6. Then the battery. Should now show charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Laptop Battery not showing Charging

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

Should now show charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Sorry not to have got back before.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ That trick didn't work. The battery issue is a problem but right now all I want to do is get xp back onto it. I'm hoping to be able to get my hands on another installation disc this weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed that that this disc is corrupt in some way.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Finally: I have managed to install XP.

I am now trying to install the drivers I obtained from here http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mini-9-guides/2707-drivers-dell-inspiron-mini-9-910-a.html

I put them on a usb stick but when I click on them nothing happens except a command prompt briefly flashes. Then nothing.

I have checked on my own machine and they are definitely there but for some reason the Dell doesn't seem to want to take them.

I have tried getting the drivers direct from Dell by entering the Express Service Code. That would have been okay except Dell wanted me to install the Dell Downloader, which I do not want on my main machine. Is there a way to circumvent this on the main Dell site?

Am I missing something obvious with this command prompt business?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad