We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Recovery Media

Taff™

Likes # 0

Just managed to mess up my first Win 8 setup and can't access the Windows system. Can someone point me to a download for recovery media. (64 bit)?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Taff try Ctrl+Alt+Delete it worked with me when I could only get a black screen.

Does safe mode not work for you.Shift +F8 it is now.

Not sure what Microsoft was thinking about not putting safe mode on start up.

Heaven knows how folk are supposed to fix their computers without it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just to add ctrl+alt+del only got me into task manager and I have not got a clue how I managed to get into safe mode from there as nothing else was working.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

see here Refresh

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I can't get Windows 8 to boot and I haven't burnt the recovery media yet. (Which is what I'm looking for) It won't even go into safe mode or to the Lenovo onekey recovery.

The actual message I've got is:

A required device can't be accessed Error code 0x0c0000225 and relates to windows\system32\winload.efi

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What did you install it from?

If you have only just got it then do a clean reinstall.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It's a new Lenovo H520s from PCW (I know, don't ask - not my choice!) Everything was installed fine and working. Then I tried to repartition the 1TB drive and on reboot - you guessed it .....

The Lenovo recovery "Onekey" accessed using F2 just doesn't work although I can see the various partitions using Linux and GParted. Any ideas?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Open your saved email receipt from Microsoft then you can access your account online. Once logged in you can download 8 again, after it gets the files ready you can select 'install by creating media'. That will give you the iso file. You could use that to try a repair.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

rdave13 - Thanks but this was my first Win8 install for a friend of mine at the pub. Didn't register it with Microsoft and turned off any usage feedback or anonymous stats when I installed it. (That might have been a mistake!)

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

what exactly is the file winload.efi and where should it reside? What does it do?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This gives some idea.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today