We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer says my sd card needs formating

nutty norm
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having been using this camera nikon coolpix S400 for the last few days to get pictures on to my computer for a few presentations it say today that it need to format it before it can be used, i just thought it was a glitch and removed picaso thinking it was that program that was at fault, so when i put it back on the fault was still there, so i got another card from another camera a sony H9 and it doesnt seem to recognise that one also , having done a system restore to yesterday and that hasnt worked the fault is still on any suggestions (windows 7 home edition) Nutty Norm

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Camera cards should always be formatted in the camera and not the PC.

If the PC is not reading the SD cards then it is possible the card is corrupted. but if same for other cards then more likely a problem with the card reader.

I suggest you first uninstall and reinstall the card reader drivers in device manager.

Like this post  
nutty norm

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat for the quick response if i unistall the card readers were do i get it back from,ive looked in the device Manager but cannot see card reader drivers, i know you have to format the card on the camera but if i do that i have lost all my pictures on the camera, nutty norm

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes do not format the cards

Once uninstalled you can either scan for new hardware or just reboot and let windows find and reinstall the drivers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014