We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dell battery charging problem ? bios update 'rom not valid'

willyv

Likes # 0

hi all, i am trying to fix my dell 1735 laptop charging problem. basically it has to be plugged in because the battery is not charging. i have ruled out a dead battery by pressing battery test button and it seems ok. i have read on a few forums that it may be due to charger not talking to the battery due to out of date bios drive. it is running a04 and believe it should be updated to a05. i have tried to do this via dell website but when i try to flash the bios it says ' bios update could not be performed due to valid rom image not found'. i dont know if this is because i upgraded vista to windows 7 a few years ago. any help gladly received as im banging my head against the wall on this one! ta

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Laptop Battery not showing Charging

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was because it was fully charged.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the power led is flashing white then 4 orange, it's probably the battery. Can also happen if using a replacement, non-Dell charger.

Like this post
willyv

Likes # 0

fruitbat you legend!!! thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You're welcome

Lost lick on aegrey bx on the right of the thread to tick as solved.

Like this post
willyv

Likes # 0

strangely after a few days of working fine its doing the same again and not recognizing charger/ white light not staying on. maybe the bios does need sorting???? help again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do the same again and see if it cures it again and how long it lasts.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If none of the above works, try a new CMOS battery.

Like this post
willyv

Likes # 0

fruitbat, i repeated the steps and it doesnt work. back to square 1 with battery nt charging, no white light staying on and power charger not recognized message on bootup. bah humbug. i'll see if i can find a coin battery...........

Like this post
willyv

Likes # 0

it lasts 1 full charge before buggering up again..............

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd be inclined to go to Dell forums with this problem as it seems it is their software (for battery charge) that is at fault.

Personally I'd leave it to Win 7 to monitor but have no idea how to disable Dell's one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...