We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ongoing issues possibly due to virus or remote connection? Please Help!

jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

Hi there Thanks for letting me register. Im knew to these forums so please bear with me.

I would like to say that I know what Im doing with computers but I don't know anymore. Always been pretty good with them, can use one, set one up and make it do most things and even thought I understood connections etc (although dont know much about the background running of one)

I have Windows 7 on my laptop which I share with my husband. We both have a user account but both have admin rights.

However for the past few months I have witnessed numerous anomalies on my account from changes in desktop settings, unknown items appearing then disappearing. Access to email changing from straight forward log in or immediate access to consistently asking for password. Not refreshing emails or email programme has opened without me even thinking about checking them. I could go on and on, there are loads of other things but very subtle things. I just know that something is going on.

I have been doing some checking and research, done all the virus checks, had my step brother check all my settings which were secure, (although these keep changing sometimes now).

Obviuosly checked with my husband who doesnt seem concerned but assures me his user account has never changed and runs without any problems. I have never been able to get any concrete evidence although odd user/access/permissions/names etc have cropped up, I am not experienced enough to know what they mean.

However (sorry I will get to the point) over the last few days the connection to the laptop has been constantly dropping out. I have checked everything and it seems fine and works fine for Iphones etc. I have just been having a look again at our connection and it says computer connected to multiple connections.

First is our usual connection (BT Home Hub) fine with that one. Second is 'Wireless Network Connection 3' SSID: WIN-VIRNKE7FVQA-23780, Intel Wireless Pan. Network Type 'Access Point' and availability 'All Users'. I have seen this connection details before but never actually connected like this?

Any ideas? Could this be contributing to whatever is happening or am I seriously going mad as my husband believes.

Many thanks if anyone can help me. You could just save my sanity!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That sounds like a neighbours wireless network connection your laptop is in range of.

If your are connected to your home hub and using a secure passkey wpa / wpa2 then its unlikely someone is connected unless they know the passkey.

Worth changing the passkey if you are unsure, change the password in the router and laptop and see if the problems stop.

Dropping out is often due to a neighbour using the same channel and causing interference so swap channels in the router.

Its husbands that drive your nuts {my wife says so and she's always right :0)}

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's advice is sound. 'Wireless Network Connection 3' SSID: WIN-VIRNKE7FVQA-23780, Intel Wireless Pan. Network Type 'Access Point' could point to android or whatever 'phones/computers'.

Ask your husband, he'll know.

Like this post
jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

Thanks for advice, confirmation, sexist comments, Im a woman I can take them.

Seriously though thanks. How can my laptop be connected to two at once and how come this is the first time its been that noticeable? Could this connection (if it were a neighbour)use or see my account remotely?

Husband knows nothing, either that or hes up to something!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for advice, confirmation, sexist comments

If that's your attitude then go swing on a banana tree.

Like this post
jonbobsuerita

Likes # 0

I cant, husbands on it.

Sorry if I came across with an attitude, just trying to have a laugh. Do appreciate your advice.

Thanks again

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

DinkyD, my apologies. I don't really know how to help. Most good advice has been given on the technological side. I think you'd be better off not trying to make more of these extra connections.

I do feel for you as I have been through this doubt and possible lies from a partner,

many years ago, but is still fresh in my mind. Hope it's not your case.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" How can my laptop be connected to two at once..."

Most laptops have two network adapters - wired (Ethernet) and wireless so your laptop is able to establish two concurrent network connections.

Does your laptop normally use a wired connection to your HomeHub? If you do then these tips may help with your worries:

1) Go to Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center. In the top-left pane, click on "Manage wireless networks", select the one called "WIN-VIRNKE7FVQA-23780" then click the "Remove" button.

2) Or if you don't normally use a wireless connection then it may be better and more secure if you disable that adapter. You can turn it off via the hardware switch or function keys on your laptop. If you can't find how to do that then go back to the Network & Sharing Center window and click on "Change adapter settings". Locate the one called "Wireless Connection 3" and set it to "Disabled".

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its not connected to two at once only your BT hub,

the Network selection screen shows all the connections available in range and lets you choose the one you want.

If you want to connect to another network then that network must either be open (unprotected) or you will need the correct password before you can connect.

Other people in the area can also see your BT connection but will not be able to connect to it unless they have the correct password.

If they do have the password and your laptop drive is set for sharing then they will have access to all your files and programs. Hence my suggestion to change the password to one only you know.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi FB

"Its not connected to two at once only your BT hub"

How do you explain this active connection that the OP's seeing?:

"Second is 'Wireless Network Connection 3' SSID: WIN-VIRNKE7FVQA-23780, Intel Wireless Pan. Network Type 'Access Point'"

By default, all BT HomeHubs have an SSID that starts with "BT-Homehub" or similar. I don't recognise the format of the SSID she's seeing.

Hopefully the OP will clarify things in her next post.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...