We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have a baffling sound problem.

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

For some time my PC sound had become distorted and impossible to listen to.

I had been putting the PC sound output through a seperate stereo amplifier which is what I first suspected, so I replaced the stereo with a set of PC desktop speakers with a built in amplifier...and I still had the distortion problem, which pointed to the onboard sound card.

So I got a cheap PCI sound card and installed it.

For a week or so everything was fine, but then it slowly began to distort again until now when its as bad as before.

Any ideas please?

Thank you.

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm suspicious of your PSU failing - but slowly. You don't mention your OS or PC.

Try disconnecting every usb peripheral you have, then boot up and try playing CDs or web sounds again. Run for a few hours via CD or DVD and/ or something like YouTube. If all ok then I suggest a new PSU.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

By PSU do you mean Power Supply Unit, the PC is about 3 years old.

I cant disconnect every usb device, I have a usb keyboard and mouse.

Is that a problem?

Thank you.

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Sorry I forgot to add.

I am running win xp

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do not disconnect keyboard and mouse if USB. If you have ps/2 connections at the back, do you have the original keyboard and mouse to connect using the ps/2 connections? Only disconnect usb mouse/keyboard when PC off. Connect ps/2 mouse/keyboard when PC off then reboot. Make sure no other peripheral, such as a USB hub/printer/webcam, etc, is connected. See if that makes any difference to your sound output.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

I did as you said and disconnected the mouse and keyboard when the PC was off, and reconnected with a ps2 mouse and keyboard, all other usb devices were disconnected.

I rebooted and tried a movie, but the sound was still distorted and broken.

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a new card I don't think it's a connection problem. Doubt it is a driver problem as it gets gradually worse over time. You could try updating the driver though. Nothing happening like freezing or rebooting randomly at times?

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I will try to find a driver for the sound card....how do I install it...does it come as an .exe?

No freezing or random rebooting.

I have quite long periods, say 10 minutes when the sound is fine, then it distorts for a minute, then goes back to normal.

Thanks

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The only thing I can think of is that there might be a poor connection somewhere inside the PC and causes interference now and again. Worth checking all connections are sound.

Is there a pattern to this distortion? Long shot, but could be something running, like a freezer or fridge, cutting in and creating interference. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK