We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System restore not responding and wont shut down

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, tried to do a restore but got the not responding message, tried to close in task manager but became a loop and all I could do was turn off the power, no access to start menu. Tried reboot and safe mode both to no avail, it booted up OK but nothing worked apart from Email. Then tried "last known good configuration" which seemed to sort things until I tried to create a new restore point then everything froze got the outline of the restore window in center of screen filled white no text in it and nothing works and I cant close it back in a loop. Had to post this on another PC, any suggestions please, I am currently running my AV but this should have picked up on this anyway if that is the problem.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat, typed in sfc and that was as far as I got before the egg timer appeared. Ok now looked again and have got black background window sfc.exe but still the egg timer. I will try option 2 tomorrow but this has hard drive failure written all over it to my mind.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Bumpkin, your problems appear to be caused by that failed System Restore and XP is now in an inconsistent and unstable state. I'd recommend you attempt to run it again to return your PC to normality. Because originally there may have been something interfering with System Restore in XP's normal-boot mode, here are a couple of other suggestions:

1) Boot the PC into Safe Mode, start System Restore, and choose a very recent restore point on the calendar where you know everything was working OK.

2) If that fails then boot into the "Safe mode with a Command prompt" option and try again - here are full instructions for that.

Like this post
toan

Likes # 0

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, tried all your suggestions but little luck so far. Using the repair from the CD option this appears to be working fine to start with but when it reboots and should continue I get the message "\system32\ntoskrnl.exe" missing or corrupt please reinstall a copy. How can I do that? or is there any other way I can just boot it up so I can try cloning from my backup if I can get it to work. thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.

In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.

Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 (where d is the drive letter of the drive the CD is in.)

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I finally got it to boot up and was then able to run Repair from the disk. Though I had it sorted but when I rebooted it I get as far as the welcome screen and login icon then get message about activation with yes or no boxes. No logs me off, so does yes. Stays on the welcome screen but I just go round in circles, cant get into Windows so cant access the net and activate. I may try a clean instal as a last resort but don`t really want to, probably still get the activation problem.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When you press F8 as its starting it should give a list on how to start PC including Selective Boot

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Just to let you know. I have now sorted the main problem. Put in another CD/DVD drive to start with as I was finding it hopeless to do anything. That worked fine and I was then able to do a clean instal which worked. Lost all my progs and docs of course. Having got thing to boot at last I was able to clone to the C drive from my external USB backup drive. Never expected that to work! but it did, got back all my programs and data. No longer requires the verification either. Not 100% solved but back on track I can sort the other bits as I go, some programs want the license key again for example, no problem but the whole thing has wasted a lot of my time I would love to know what causes this sort of thing in the first place, tell me if you can:-) Thanks very much to all for your input.

Ray

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more