We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No internet XP Home32bit

dnjl

Likes # 0

Hel please. I run XP Home 32bit. with Internet Explorer. I play World of Warcraft and only go on web about 2 days a week. I was last on web a day or so ago and all was well. I have played WOW since and all OK. Today when starting my PC up it said AVG had removed a problem in System 32. All my desk icons were funny or missing. My screen saver was not ther also. I turned it all off and started up again and it looked OK. However, wife has had trouble with AVG 2013 and I had just downloaded this new version a week or so ago. So we decided to take it off. It had a problem it said, but eventually we got rid of it all. Now I can get ito WOW with no probs so cable etc, is OK, I but cannot get onto web to get a new AVG. I cannot get a systems restore to work either. I dare not play WOW with no anti-virus. Help please.

Like this post
dnjl

Likes # 0

Yes I am using IE8 andno I did not delete it (don't know how to), and was worried that if I took it off I would not be able to do anything at all.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

"This article" explained how to uninstall IE7/8 so that it would be rolled back to IE6. Are you now saying that you do not have IE6?

Try running this Fix-it from Microsoft to see if it allows you to reinstall IE6.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You do not need to delete IE6 - you need to have it installed. Once it is installed it can be updated.

Try using this Microsoft Fix-it to see if this will reinstate IE6.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to Leave a Space after SFC and Before / so it loks like this. SFC /scannow

Like this post
dnjl

Likes # 0

Hi I cannot use "fix-it" as it needs internet acces and anything that needs internet access IE will not allow it.

I will try F8 and "last known good configuration" first, and if that doesn't work - I will try sfc /scannow (with a space) and see if this rolls back IE8 to IE6.

I will be back with results tomorrow. Thanks all for help so far.

Like this post
dnjl

Likes # 0

Hi again

I tried "last known good configuration" first, but still same -

then I tried "sfc /scannow" and after it went through having me put disc in, and checking windows files etc. when it finished I logged out,closed down and re-started straight away without touching anything else. BUT still no result again. It only seems to want to give me the message that the requested lookup key not found in active activation context.

The strange thing is I can still get into my WOW and play no problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You say that IE8 is still installed and you are still getting the message. Are you sure that it is IE8 as when you did the XP repair from the disc it would probably have had IE6 on it - hence the problem because you did not remove later copies.

Start - run - type in "appwiz.cpl" and click ok In currently installed programmes click Internet Explorer 7/8 whichever is there and click remove.

See if IE6 is now operational, and installed.

If it is then you will need to make sure that automatic updates is on so that SP3 will be installed and you will need to update to whichever version of IE you want.

If nothing still happens, and you have checked to see that IE7 and IE8 have been removed then try another XP repair.

Do you have another browser installed? If not, I suggest that you do this - try Firefox perhaps.

You will

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks