We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TP Link Router how to set password etc.

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

Morning all,

I would like some help in setting up security on my router.

Whilst being reasonably PC savvy, routers and wireless are a mystery.

XP Home SP3. In the UK. ( I mention that as the address on the router is USA.)

Below are some screen shots of the present router set up which even I can see is non existent!

Below are six screen shots and would like to know what I must, or preferably, change.

( Why the top line is in smaller print I don't know. Happened after spacing down a line.)

enter link description here

Thanks.

P>S. Wireless is 'disabled' in all but the last link.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Is that (QSS) sufficient in your opinion as the Kindle connects with that."

Probably, but if want to be certain that your wireless network is properly secured, go through the step-by-step instructions I posted earlier.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

All done , I think.

For some reason I can't find the password box any more. in the TPLink to enter one.

The Kindle required one so I entered the WPA pre-shared key and it accepted it.

Should the QSS still be enabled?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Good see that you've made loads of progress :)

"For some reason I can't find the password box any more. in the TPLink to enter one"

The WPA Pre-shared key and wireless password are the same thing so if you want to enter a different password then you do so in the "WPA Pre-shared key" section. If you simply want to view the password then there's a tiny blue link underneath and clicking on it opens a pop-up window with the password displayed as plain text.

"Should the QSS still be enabled?"

Now that I'm happy your wireless network's fully secure, you can leave QSS enabled as it's a nifty time-saving feature that may come in handy if you ever need to connect a different wireless-enabled device. On the other hand, you won't break anything by disabling it.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel,

Yes- I saw the blue link. The pre-shared key happens to be my broadband Talk Talk p/word.

Presumably changing the pre-shared wont affect anything else?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Presumably changing the pre-shared wont affect anything else?"

It'll only affect wireless devices such as your Kindle which'll need its wireless network setup again.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel:

Many thanks for your help and also rdave13.

All sorted and learnt a bit along the way.

Will resolve.

Cheers,

mp.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more