We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 upgrade install failed

Happy37

Likes # 0

Hello everyone,

I have got a Pentium 4 PC with a 3.2Ghz processor with 2GB of RAM and a 256MB RAM NVIDIA graphics card. Hard drive space is not an issue as I have plenty.

I backed up the stuff that I wanted to keep from this PC last night, and then I tried to upgrade my current Windows 7 Pro install to Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro "Upgrade" CD.

It's this one:-

enter link description here

After having fixed the various things that the installer flagged up, the installation finally proceeded.

All went well (or so I thought).....

Anyway, all the files were copied over and the "Restarting your computer in the next 10 seconds" screen popped up.

I thought that we were nearly getting there?!

After the PC restarted, I got the dual-boot menu come up.

It automatically went into the "Setup" option to carry on.

Disaster!!

My PC stopped with a black screen with a balck screen background, an error message, some numbers and a message stating that "Your PC needs to restart. Please press the power button."

I have done this a few times, and I am no further forward with this install.

2 things:-

I don't know what the error messages are as I did not write them down. I can restart the PC to get these and post them on here if it will help anyone identify what the cause of the failed install is?

Can this "upgrade" install be fixed so that it could complete or not?

If not, what's the BEST method of getting rid of the install so that I can just have Windows 7 Pro on this PC and just use that, please?

Msconfig? - if yes, then which OS do I use this in, and which lines do I delete to get rid of the Setup and keep Windows 7 Pro?

EasyBCD? - Might this work or not? And how? Is there a current Windows 8 capable version available?

Many thanks.

I urgently look forward to all responses, and would be grateful for any help that you could provide.

Regards,

Happy37

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you can get into msconfig I know that you can get it to run in safe mode and maybe check device manager wile in there.

I had 2 duplicate drivers on it with the yellow exclamation marks on them.I deleted them but could use W/8 normally after that.But unfortunately I could not get connected to the internet so installed it again and it works ok now.

If you get into msconfig click on boot.Highlight W/8.Tick safe boot that should also put a dot in minimal.press ok and it should ask you if you want to reboot click yes.

Now when I did this the other day it also gave me the choice of safe mode with internet connection etc but at the moment it is just showing minimal so choose the one that you prefer.

Now when you are finished doing what you want to do in safe mode go back into msconfig and untick safe boot or it will just open safe mode again when you reboot.

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice Jock1e.

Would I use msconfig in Windows 7 to make these changes?

I cannot get into Windows 8 at all.

If msconfig works in Windows 7 as you say, then do you think that I might be able to fix things while I am in Windows 8 in a minimal boot?

Regards,

Happy37

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Use it in W/7 and when you get to Boot highlight W/8 and follow the rest of the directions.

When you tick Safe boot tick network underneath and it will open with a network connection.

Read the help folder that opens for more things that you can try.

Now I only have W/8 on mine but it should work with highlighting W/8 when you get into msconfig.

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

Thanks again Jock1e

I will try this and will post back on here to let you know how it all goes.

Regarding the error message that I got on a black background with white lettering:-

Here we are:-

Your PC needs to restart Please hold down the power button Error Code 0x0000005D Parameters 0x030F0401 0x756E6547 0x49656E69 0x6C65746E

I googled the Error Code and found that this means that the CPU in my PC does not support NX. NX is a crucial part of the Windows 8 install and the CPU must support it otherwise the Windows 8 install won't work.

Oh dear.........not good.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Happy37

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

When downloading from the internet it searches your computer and tells you if your system can run W/8 or not.

You would think that if it runs Ok on W/7 it should run ok on W/8 probably a driver update problem.

I tried safe mode again with Network connection and it did show a yellow exclamation mark beside one of my drivers.It could not find an update for it.Rebooted and device manager never showed the exclamation mark again.

So be careful if you were thinking of deleting any of them maybe disable them if you have to then you can always enable them again if need be.

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

Thanks again Jock1e.

The Windows 8 Update Assistant did state that Windows 8 might run, but there will definitely be an issue with NX. See link below.......

enter link description here

I have now deleted the correct line and now Windows 7 is starting correctly without the Windows 8 setup routine interfering in between.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Happy37

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

This is now resolved as I have now purchased 2 brand new PCs and these are running a mixture of Windows XP Professional and Windows 8 Professional with no problems.

Thanks to everyone that replied and helped.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...