We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

advice required on which Processor to use

kat64

Likes # 0

Hi, I intend to build another computer that i will use just for Linux Ubuntu. Could anyone please advise do i need any particular Processor or maybe someone could recommend one. I have built several PCs in the past but just for Windows OS. Regards

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

In the absence of any positive response from this site, you may find what you need here;

http://askubuntu.com/

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

kat64

try here

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

I've been using Linux Mint 11 for some time now, previously Mint 6 and prior to that Ubuntu. I'm on a self built machine with AMD Athlone 7550 dual core CPU, 2 gig mem and experienced no problems over the time I've been using Linux. Give the Mint Live CD a try, I prefer it to Ubuntu, very easy GUI and installs just about everything you need.

PS When I said no problems, I still haven;t managed to get the floppy drive to work but don't need it anyway.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

It's much more a case of what you want PC to do (gaming, Photo/video editing etc) will determine best CPU.

Like this post
kat64

Likes # 0

Many Thanks for your input. csqwared: I will try the Mint Live CD and I thank you for your suggestions Kind Regards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite