We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant llink to email links - default mail client

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

If i try to click on an email link on a website I get a window appear that says "Windows" Default mail client not properly installed, cannot perform this operation. - what does this mean? and how can I correct it? its preventing me from accessing email links on websites and things like that. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE (I have an acer laptop with Windows vista)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

this is a real pain in the a++e!!! I cant get IE to open properly now to check in the program tab what the options actually are!! God Almighty I DESPISE COMPUTERS!!! lAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You should be able to get into Internet Options through Control Panel

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Just managed to open the internet properties of IE on the homepage (though the IE wont actually let me fill in a URL as the yahoo default page has an icon that keeps rotating at the top tool bar constantly, anwyway in the programs tab, when I click on "set program" it opens a windows page that has a main heading called "default Settings" then there are 4 options: 1, set your default settings 2, associate a file type with a program 3. Change auto play settings & 4. set program access & computer defaults. - so thats it so far. LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Under set program access & computer defaults go to Custom - what email program/s does it show there?

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, in the custom page it comes up with a long list of options, 1. Chose default web browser - there are two circles the first one crossed with "use current web browser" and the unmarked one is for Internet explorer. then Choose defaul email proxy, then 3 circles, first one crossed for "use current email proxy" then Choose default media player and then 4 circles first one is crossed for "use current media player" then there is Default instant messaging, there is only one circle and it is crossed for "use current..." then the last one is Choose default virtual machine for java, with only one circle crossed for "use my current Java virtual machine" - When it shows -use current web browser- I have no idea what that is, as I am using google chrome to write this as I cant get IE to open properly, so I assume it is letting me use google chrome as this is my "current" browser, well its the only one I can use properly. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

so what do I do now?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As you seem to have no email program selected I think you should set up your email account on Windows Live Mail which you have already downloaded. This tutorial will talk you through how to do it - it refers to Outlook Express, but applies exactly to Windows Live Mail.

Hotmail settings on Windows Live Mail

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Do I just set up one single email address on this link? and will that then allow me to link to peoples emails on their websites? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

How do I get into Windows live mail? I am still using google chrom browser as the IE still doesnt open properly, can I access windows like mail on a google chrome browser? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If you downloaded and installed it earlier as suggested by Woolwell then you should have an icon on the desktop for Windows Live Mail. If there is not one showing then you should find it on your Start button (bottom left) and listed under Programs.

The account you set up is your Hotmail account - this means that when you click on a link in a website Windows Live Mail will open and you can then send them an email.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia