We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant llink to email links - default mail client

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

If i try to click on an email link on a website I get a window appear that says "Windows" Default mail client not properly installed, cannot perform this operation. - what does this mean? and how can I correct it? its preventing me from accessing email links on websites and things like that. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE (I have an acer laptop with Windows vista)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

yes, I log onto hotmail and yahoo and gmail through the IE or google chrome - I thought this is the only way to access your emails? LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As you have just discovered accessing your emails through IE or Chrome isn't the only way. You don't have an e-mail client installed hence you get the message in your first post. Because of that when you click on an email link it doesn't know what to do next. It cannot open the webmail (email through browser) of the person/company you want to send to as it doesn't know the address and it cannot open an email client as you don't have one. The way out is to install something like Windows Live Mail and access hotmail, gmail through that.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

how do I install windows live mail? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think someone else is going to have to help you with that as I know that I have commitments which mean that I shall be away from now until tomorrow evening.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK I have found a link from a microsoft site for downloading live essentials complete package, I am downloading it now and will see what happens after this download if I can link to an email via a link on some websites after this download, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Sorry - have been out this evening. When you open Internet Options in IE and go to the Programs tab under Internet Programs you will see a drop down menu beside E-mail: Check if it says Windows Live Hotmail and select that.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Depending on your version of Internet Explorer it will look something this:

Internet Explorer Options

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

No, the programs tab on my internet explorer tools doesnt look like that, I have installed Windows live essentials 2011 and when I do click on an email link on a website it now brings up a window saying that Windows live essentials 2011 is opening up, then it opens a kind of email compose page with the email address of the persons website already in the address section, but when I fill in my message and click send it still wont send bringing up another page saying something about errors (I can remember exactly as I am using google chrome browser now to send this - I wish I had never started this bloody performance really!!!) As to the Tools on the IE I am using it only shows 4 options when you opens "programs" tab, I said what they are in earlier messages, (again cant get into that right now as I am on google chrome now) but there isnt that list of options under "internet programmes" i.e. .... you can specify which programmes windows automatically uses for each internet service.... - and then the list of option, HTML, emial, newsgroups, etc., on my IE tools there is none of these options that I can alter myself, Oh, its HORRIBLE how these things NEVER match what they are supposed to do. Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have just checked on IE as the browser and in the tools under internet options under the "programs" tab it only says in 4 different headings: Default Web browser = IE is the default web browser, then a tick box (ticked) with a text saying "tell me if IE isn not the default web browser" - 2nd heading = Manage add-ons, third heading = HTML Editing, then HTML editor, with a box saying "microsoft word" with only a pull down option from that box with "notepad" as the only option available. Fourth heading = Internet programs and only a text saying "choose prgrams for internet services" and a box with "set programs" in it and then in that box it comes up with the options available. - What do you think I should do?? I HATE COMPUTERS!!! Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

and a box with "set programs" in it and then in that box it comes up with the options available.

What options are showing there?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'