We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant llink to email links - default mail client

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

If i try to click on an email link on a website I get a window appear that says "Windows" Default mail client not properly installed, cannot perform this operation. - what does this mean? and how can I correct it? its preventing me from accessing email links on websites and things like that. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE (I have an acer laptop with Windows vista)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin - Thank you for your follow up on this.

laptopdunce - As Sea Urchin has stated you need to set up Windows Live Mail. The alternative is to accept that the links for emails on webpages do not open correctly.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK I realise that, I have installed Windows live essentials 2011, but how do I log into windows live mail bearing in mind that my IE browser still doesnt open properly and I am using google chrome to access internet, which I dont like really because I havent got the toolbar like on IE with all my custom aps added to go straight into various websites, I really miss the IE browser, I would rather get the IE browser back and leave this "default mail client" matter until I get IE browser back again. Should I post another question in the forum about how to get the IE browser back up running properly? thanks LAPTODUNCE

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did your IE problems exist before you downloaded Windows Live Essentials? However Windows Live Essentials should not have affected IE and its opening in any way.

What do you mean by it doesn't open properly?

Have you tried - All programs - Accessories - System tools - Internet Explorer (no add-ons)?

You don't log into Windows Live Mail. It is a program on your laptop, which you open and which you have to set your email account up on. Once you have done that it retrieves and sends e-mails for you.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Just to back up what Woolwell has said - you don't use Internet Explorer or Chrome to open Windows Live Mail - they are for browsing the Internet. You open the program as I described in my posting of 3.36pm today

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin, you can use IE to open WLM, it's on the command bar.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes, of course you can open any email client from IE (although it's not a default icon on the command bar) but laptopdunce is having problems opening IE.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

WLM is a default icon on the command bar in IE regardless if you install Windows Live Mail or not.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

WLM is not the default icon. Read Mail is the default icon and will open your default e-mail client which in my case is Outlook.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

just back, the IE will open to the yahoo default homepage but it wont allow me to type in a URL in the bar at the top, or click on any of the custom website icons, as there is a circle icon that goes around interminably, then it will stop but sometimes I can go into a web site but it wont open the pages and starts that circle icon spinning around and around interminably. I did have IE installed BEFORE I installed the windows live essentials 2011. I really dont know what to do at all as this happened from one day to the next for no apparent reason, I have run antimalewarebytes scan and there are no viruses and the google chrome browser I am currently using works fine (but I do prefer IE as I have all my favourite custom aps. added on the yahoo homepage - ebay-hotmail-yahoo etc. - Its a total mystery!! On my other laptops I did the complete system restore (as I was SO Pi**Ed off with the whole shambles, and that was really the ONLY way to get it working right again by re-loading all the latest IE, adobe, java etc., programmes - but obviously that takes literally DAYS to get it all back to normal. this is a vista home laptop. Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"circle icon spinning around and around interminably" that is the webpage still loading up, so you can't do anything much with the webpage until it has finished loading. That is normal and speed of page loading is dependant on the page itself, the servers it comes from and your connection speed and your pc.

"Read Mail" button on IE toolbar: If it doesn't open your default email program then you have to reset email program as your default http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/read-mail-button-does-not-work-in-internet-explorer/ You have to do this in two places, as per the instructions on the link.

Set it in Internet Explorer and also (Windows Vista)

1. Click Start, select Default Programs

2. Click Set your default programs

3. Select your mail client from the list

4. Click Set this program as default, and click OK.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...