We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant llink to email links - default mail client

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

If i try to click on an email link on a website I get a window appear that says "Windows" Default mail client not properly installed, cannot perform this operation. - what does this mean? and how can I correct it? its preventing me from accessing email links on websites and things like that. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE (I have an acer laptop with Windows vista)

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Can you show an example of the links you mean?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which email client have you got set as the Default one for Windows to use?

Windows needs to know which email program to open up so you can compose an email.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you normally use webmail? Unless you have a default e-mail client then you will get that message.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

In Internet Explorer (whether you use it not) go to the Tools menu - Internet Options - Programs tab - and make sure the email client you use is set in the drop down menu. Click Apply and OK.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I use hotmail mainly for emails, though I do have gmail and yahoo email addresses, is that what you mean about an "email client" thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes, if you check that drop down menu you should find Windows Live Hotmail listed there.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Very weird this, I cant get the IE homepage to open now, I am using google chrome browser to use internet as IE simply will not open, and I cant get into the "tools" menu and "internet options" is shaded grey, I tried to log into yahoo messenger and it wont open the messenger either, when I click on the "diagnose2 link on yahoo IM, it says to check that I am getting https on IE - which I am not, it is showing the url bar at the top as http://yahoo.com (the IE is set to yahoo as the default page) so hence I am now on google chrome just to get into sites etc., this has just happened for no reason, it was all fine yesterday, but I have had this problem before where the IE wont open the page properly, I had to do a complete restore from the back up disks on laptops in England that I was getting this problem with., and now it has cleared it up on those computers but it took DAYS to get all the programmes re-loaded and back to how it was before. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

That's weird, I have done a restart and the laptop had 3 downloads to install and then when I restarted it DOES open up quickly the IE homepage now, I can go into "tools" and open the tab for "programs" BUT there doesnt seem to be a pull down menu for checking if Windows live hotmail is in programmes tab, there are 4 headings called: Default web browser, Manage add-ons, HTML editing and Internet programmes, so what should I do now?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you read your e-mails only through your browser ie IE or Chrome?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

An e-mail client is a program on your computer which downloads and sends emails. Programs such as Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do