We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lap Top works when connected by cable but not wireless

surfer47
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am using Vista and BT Home Hub 2.0 but I can't establish a connection for the Lap Top. However if I connect the hub via a cable all works well. I have had 3 BT Home Hubs so far and they all seem to suffer from the same problem so I am thinking of buying a hub from someone else. Do you think this would be a goo9d idea? and if so could you recommend one. Regards

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Is wireless enabled on the laptop? The answer to the first question will help us ensure your wireless adapter is switched on.

If you open Network and sharing centre - are any wireless networks listed?

Look in Device Manger - are there any yellow triangles - these refer to driver issues.

What is listed as your wireless adapter?

I would not be spending money on a router at this point.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need the SSID and Password from BT hub putting in the Wireless Settings of your Laptop. Also BT Hub may need Wireless Turning on as some Modems are off by Default for wireless

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

Things are very strange. It has started working again. It worked this afternoon then this evening I switched it on and it had stopped working again, I ran the BT Diagnostic and it came back with "Run it again" but the connection is on again. All the while the main PC continued to work ok. Help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Also try changing channels as interference from a neighbour using the same channel can cause drop outs.

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Something to look out for, because it happened to my wife... On many laptops, there's a small button near the keyboard that switches wi-fi on and off - and it's not always clear that's what it does. On my wife's Acer, it was very easy to accidentally press it - and the connection was lost. It took a lot of head scratching before we solved the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do