We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PackardBell Recovery Program failed.

Oldguy145

Likes # 0

Dear Tech Support Team,

I recently acquired an old PC from my son, however, there is a lot of previous files which he has left on the computer. So I goggled and found Packard Bell had an in-house program which resets the computer back to default settings (Same settings as the day it was bought).

So I pressed F11 on the keyboard when the computer was booting. Came to the PackardBell Recovery Program, and Clicked the option for full restore - wiping all accounts and documents. After the process finished it automatically rebooted the computer itself, went to the bios screen, for which after came a black screen with " DMI POOl VERIFYING" underneath this was {Bè(little black square)$ . I have restarted the computer multiple times to no avail of success. I have reset the BIOS options to default and have put hard-drive as number one boot priority.

Any help on the situation would be grateful. I am a beginner with PC, so please bare with me.

John D.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, I'm thinking the F11 recovery can't find the oem hidden partition so that might be why it doesn't complete. Perhaps you need to look and see if it is still there. (the change to Activate part is really for when F11 doesn't work, but I thought it wouldn't harm to try as you are getting nowhere at mo')

Like this post
Oldguy145

Likes # 0

Ok lotvic, I will give it a try tomorrow, head has swollen due to this issue. You're saying that even after the Full recovery has been done and the computer has restarted, that there is a missing link or ticked box, which could be causing the issue? A new windows xp CD wouldn't fix the issue no?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Verifying pool data is usually a problem with the hard drive, BIOS not seeing it to boot from, in this case because its SATA and XP, it presents another problem.

XP media centre also makes it harder as there are very few XP media centre disks about.

XP came along before SATA drives and does not recognise them, so it can be a problem trying to install to a SATA drive without slipstreaming SATA drivers to the XP CD first.

Packard Bell machines often have tattooed hard drives making it even more complicated.

What we need is a disk that can look at the drive and see what is on there.

Download and burn a linux live CD (free) see here

we may then be able to fix the non booting problem.

Like this post
Oldguy145

Likes # 0

Ok Fruit, I will download it and install it tomorrow, and get right back too you. Thanks for staying patient with me so far.

Like this post
Oldguy145

Likes # 0

Ok I bought a windows Center 2005 edition restore disk, put it in, and bam everything works. Thanks guys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...