We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound heard with headphones not through speakers

sajeev

Likes # 0

I am unable to hear any sounds (system or audio) from my laptop speakers. However, I am able to hear sounds when using headphones (USB or regular) with Skype and some videos, but not with the large majority of Youtube videos. I am using Dell Inspiron 700m, Windows XP Home, Sigma Tel audio I have run all the trouble shooters with no change. Please advise. Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Has it always been like that? or is it since there was some change to your system?

Have you checked to see if the speakers are muted?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

been caught with this one myself laptop ad both software mute (shows on screen) and hardware mute button (not shown on screen)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Could be the ear phone jack that's faulty, contacts inside it stuck together on phones, as the jack is only a switch from speaker to earphones. when you plug phones in it brakes speaker contacts and connects earphones

Like this post
sajeev

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

Lotvic: no it was working perfectly till a month ago when the speaker developed a tinny sound on using laptop speakers (built in) but fully clear when using headphones. Now the problem has gotten worse as I have described. I have not changed anything important in my software or hardware. Fruit bat: The volume icon in the systray is not muted. When I go into Sound and devices, everything is shown to be working well and enabled. I don't really know what the hardware mute button is. Woodchip: How can I fix it if this is the problem? Thanks very much

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

does your laptop have a volume control (wheel)near where you plug in the headphones?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could try a spray of Switch Cleaner in the socket, from Maplin's Do not flood it. It does evaporate, as soon as you have sprayed it in, plug the jack in and out a few times. it may just work

Like this post
sajeev

Likes # 0

fruitbat: no wheel woodchip: I live in a part of the world where there is no Maplins. Any other common or generic brand that I can use? If you can let me know what the main ingredient the cleaner contains, I can try and source it locally. I guess WD 40 would be a no! no!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No WD40

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Any Electronics shop should have Switch Cleaner Name Servicol

Click where to buy

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As the Built in speaker has developed a 'Tinny' sound, it would suggest that the speaker itself has developed a fault. Have you an external speaker that you could plug in to test it, if not , hunt round the second hand shops / charity shops or Ebay Etc, or maybe borrow one from a friend.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia