We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

start up - disk checking. wont complete

westgolf

Likes # 0

When I start up my desktop goes directly to disk-check. it cannot be cancelled (as the screen says it can) it then stalls forever at , journal verification completed.I cannot progress from there.I am running W.7. All seems to have gone wrong since update to AVG 2013(which i had to do). Running very slowly since that. malware scans show nothing - but now - cant do anything ? any help please. Thanx.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Open the Start menu and type "cmd" into the search box.

2. When, the program, cmd appears, right-click it and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu. If Windows asks for permission to run the command prompt , click Continue.

3. Once the Command Prompt has been accessed, type chkntfs /x C: (where "C:" is the letter of the drive that is scheduled.

Note: Check Disk will not run when the computer is restarted.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Can you start using Safe Mode tapping F8 or F5 as its booting. If you can you may be able to do a Restore

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thank you for this, safe mode did the trick, amazing how slow the pc has become since update to avg 2013 (free). so dissapointed & the pop-ups are ridiculous, many thanks to fruit bat & woodchip.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten