We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 query

Thereferee21

Likes # 0

I have a laptop that I purchased last December will i gain anything extra from the Windows 8 upgrade over and above Windows 7 which I have now.

Thanks

Ian

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

IMO unless you have a touch screen - no.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is not for the average user.Complicated and not user friendly is my opinion.

If like me you might be a bit slow on the uptake of new technology this is not for you.

Because I am slow on the uptake it does not mean that everyone else is.It is complicated and maybe once i get used to it it might be Ok.

I would probably say not as popular as Vista if that gives you an idea of what it may be like.

I only downloaded it yesterday and it was last night before I actually got it working properly.

If you want it to work first time I would advise not keeping files or folders from your old set up.

Up till now I will give it a 5 out of 10 and who knows next week it may be 10 out of 10 but i doubt it.

If you do not like Complicated stay with what you have.

Downloads on it are pathetically slow.gave up trying to download Emisoft Anti malware after 20 minutes it had at least another 10 minutes to go.

Thought that it was just a one off but tried downloading it from different servers and got the same response.

I would wait a week or two to see how others are getting on with it.If you are elderly or do not grasp new ideas quickly this is not fo you.

If you have a spare computer to try it out would be a good idea or even a dual boot but even better if you can try before you buy could be a good idea.

If you are a bit of a whiz kid you will probably like it,if you are slow on the uptake like myself you will probably struggle.

Lets see what tomorrow brings and hope that I have got a grip of it by then.

Now those are only my views others out there probably get on well with it.

I suppose you have to change with the times and new idea's so I suppose you either go with it or you get left behind. The choice is yours.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've tried it and see no benefit at all on a PC. Will stick to W7 for that. As mentioned, it does have advantages on a lappy with a touch screen.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I fully agree with onthelimit1 comment I've tried it and see no benefit at all on a PC I myself have not tried it for that very reason. It was made for touchscreen computers and really doesn't appear to have any place for a traditional keyboard and mouse. I for one will be sticking to Windows 7

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I updated an old laptop from Vista and I never thought I'd say it but I liked it so much it's now running on the main Desktop PC. If you're running Win 7, like I did, then possibly not worth the hassle of learning a new OS, but that would be up to you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

VR controller attempts to make Oculus Rift easier to use