We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adobe Flash Player for Apple PCs / iPads

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

I have set up, and operate, a couple of websites which make use of photo galleries dependant on Adobe's Flash Player to view the images.

A friend tells me that he cannot view content on these websites where the use of Adobe's Flash Player is required.

He uses an IPad, and says that Adobe's Flash Player is NOT compatible with an iPad, and by inference any Apple PC. I personally find this to be astonishing and difficult to believe.

But is he correct?

Or is there a special version of Adobe's Flash Player that he should be using?

An example of the content that he can't view is

http://www.enicholl.com/priory-friends/autumn-colours-2012.html

Any suggestions very welcome, as I personally don't use any Apple products but would like to be sure that the website content can be viewed by anybody.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

That makes depressing reading, Fruit Bat.

Does this now mean that some sort of notice is required on a web page that uses Flash to say

"Can only be viewed on a PC. Full content not available on an Apple product"?

I'm too old to learn HTML5, and there's too much content to change anyway.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Flash doesn't work on iPad or any iOS devices however there are work rounds that mean downloading an app but I don't know how it would work with videos. Some mobile phones and later Android tablets don't have flash either and Adobe is withdrawing from the mobile market.

Suggest that you look at whether the site really does need to use flash.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Correction change videos to photos.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Many thanks everyone for help.

It looks as though I shall have to set up slide shows using Javascript rather than Flash on the Bolton Priory website. Maybe I shall have two slide shows, - one in Flash and the other in Javascript for those people who insist on viewing things on an iPad.

I've gone off having an iPad now!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't insist on viewing things on my iPad. It is a very quick and convenient way to browse the internet eg virtually no start up time and very portable. I do think however that website designers should try to make their sites accessible to all on any device. If they do not then they will lose viewers.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW it's not just iPad. Android tablets with jelly bean will also have flash difficulties. Android flash player is dead

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

He uses an IPad, and says that Adobe's Flash Player is NOT compatible with an iPad, and by inference any Apple PC

It only affects Apple mobile devices, all other Apple computers be it on Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion have no problem playing Flash.

click here for Photon Flash Video Player & Private Web Browser US$4.99 (£2.49), I've it on my iPhone 4S on IOS 6 which plays your above link perfectly alright. Use it like a browser then click the lightning symbol at the bottom to open & play the Flash program.

I don't have yet personal experience of this App on iPad (my iPad mini will only come next month) but doubt there will be any difficulty at all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers