We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband speed drops with new router

awest3

Likes # 0

Wonder if anyone out there can help with a SKY broadband problem I have. I use a netgear 934gt(the black one). I was having trouble with the wifi range and thought I'd upgrade to an N type router, which supposedly have a better range. To cut a long story short by using the N router my broadband speed dropped from 3meg to 1 meg. Thinking I'd got a faulty router I tried two others with the same result. SKY are being quite helpful but are perplexed by this issue. They have now sent me one of the new HUB routers but this has exactly the same issues. All the usual things have been checked time and time again to no avail. Why would a router slow the access down or visa versa why would a router (934gt) increase the access speeds?

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

801.11n router will work with 801.11g equipment but you will not get the benefits of "n".

Do you know how to access the router settings using your browser (open a browser and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar). You can then see the various settings. The new router will have a similar way of being accessed (the IP address may be different). Compare the settings to see if you can spot any differences.

How are you measuring the broadband speed?

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Yes, I can get into the settings no problem. I measure the speed three ways. a) online speed checkers b) looking at the stats on the router (see below) c) by the feel of the responses to web page requests.

the stats are: The 934g Download = 3.196; Atten = 55; Noise = 9 Upload = .796; Atten = 33; Noise = 11

The new Hub Download = 1.109; Atten = 56; noise =9 Upload = .576; Atten = 34.7; Noise = 10.10

The Sky technician called today and they are at a loss to whats causing this line speed drop

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you're connecting the PC by ethernet cable, it doesn't matter what the spec of the Wireless Network Adapter is because it isn't in use.

If you are connecting to the router with an 802.11g adapter, the router needs to be configured to allow connections from both "g" and "n" protocols.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

looking at the options on the network adapter it only gives a G option

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"looking at the options on the network adapter it only gives a G option"

It is in the router's settings that the protocol needs to be set to "g" and "n".

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

only get options og G or B&G

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

for og read of

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

What "broadband speed" are you actually referring to? Is this the speed you are getting on the line, the synch speed, or is it the wired/wireless network speed as measured at your computer ? You seem to be confusing (me at least) the speed of broadband with the speed of your network. Your broadband speed will be entirely independent of any adaptors or computers, as it will be router-dependent only. It's certainly true that different (chipsets within) modems can have radically different broadband connect speeds.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

OK... apologies... that will teach me to look for a "page 2"... embarrassed smiley..

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

So, now I've actually read your thread a bit ... better...

The line stats for the two modems are pretty similar, so there's probably no direct problem with the Hub hardware. It's just not connecting at the faster speed.

The b/g/n protocol is irrelevant. It's the line connect speed that is causing the problem. You might want to worry about that later, but no point now.

Under DSL settings (not sure exactly what this will be on your 934), what modulation modes are selected ( ADSL, ADSL+ ADSL2, Annex L)? Are other settings comparable between the fast & slow modem?

You might find, with a poor line, you'd do better to only have ADSL selected, and unselect the ADSL2 and +. Make a careful note of each change you make of course.

Netgear's 834GT modem was good at handling poor lines; I don't know if the 934 is similar, it being (I believe) a SKY "special"...

What were the makes of the other modems? Oh, and I will read the thread proper-like this time ;))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......