We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband speed drops with new router

awest3

Likes # 0

Wonder if anyone out there can help with a SKY broadband problem I have. I use a netgear 934gt(the black one). I was having trouble with the wifi range and thought I'd upgrade to an N type router, which supposedly have a better range. To cut a long story short by using the N router my broadband speed dropped from 3meg to 1 meg. Thinking I'd got a faulty router I tried two others with the same result. SKY are being quite helpful but are perplexed by this issue. They have now sent me one of the new HUB routers but this has exactly the same issues. All the usual things have been checked time and time again to no avail. Why would a router slow the access down or visa versa why would a router (934gt) increase the access speeds?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Is your receiving equipment, i.e PC or laptop set up correctly for, and compatible with the 802.11n protocol? Some info here:

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I'll ask the sky man when he rings on Wednesday and get back to you. Thanks.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

The Sky technicians say my PC etc. is fine for 802.11n

They have never seen this before and are at a loss as to what is causing it. It is easily repeatable and I've switched routers over 10 times to convince the doubters. It can't be the line in as its the same for all routers I've tried. Now at a loss, I'd like to fit the new hub (mainly for its wifi capabilities) but cant due to the line speed drop from 3meg to 1 meg.

Al

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Are you also experiencing the same drop in speed if you connect to the new router(s) by ethernet cable instead of "wirelessly"?

I know a wired connection may not be practical, but it would establish whether the problem is a "wireless" one.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Hi. Probably did not make myself clear. I am talking about a wired connection. The reason I wanted an n router was for its extra wifi coverage but I've not even tested that yet as the wired connection drops to 1 meg from 3 meg.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK), double click the Local Area Connection and see what speed the adapter is connecting to the router at.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Ta. Will have a look.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

only speed I can see is 100mbps

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

OK, it was just an idea that there might have been a problem with the speed at which network adapter and router were communicating, but 100Mbps is the correct speed.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Taking a deeper look at the network adapter via device manager it appears to be a broadcom 802.11g, this would suggest that it is not capable of supporting the n type router! or is my logic wrong?.

Do I need to buy a new network adapter which runs 801.11n? or is it a software update?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...