We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband speed drops with new router

awest3

Likes # 0

Wonder if anyone out there can help with a SKY broadband problem I have. I use a netgear 934gt(the black one). I was having trouble with the wifi range and thought I'd upgrade to an N type router, which supposedly have a better range. To cut a long story short by using the N router my broadband speed dropped from 3meg to 1 meg. Thinking I'd got a faulty router I tried two others with the same result. SKY are being quite helpful but are perplexed by this issue. They have now sent me one of the new HUB routers but this has exactly the same issues. All the usual things have been checked time and time again to no avail. Why would a router slow the access down or visa versa why would a router (934gt) increase the access speeds?

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

No problem. Thanks for your interest.

DSL is ADSL, its the only one I can see.I cant see anywhere on the router to change this.

The other Routers I've tried are 5 x sagem F@st 2504n Sky.

The latest one is the new Sky hub router (only arrived 2 days ago)

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Have you considered using the fastest connecting (the 934) as the modem, with the n-rated (take your pick) being used as the router/wireless router? Connect the two by cable...

I haven't found a manual for those modems in my brief search. I'll look later, and see what settings are available to you.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I think I'd like to sort this if possible. I have a fear of my netgear packing up and losing 1.5 meg of line speed.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

bump

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

bump

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015