We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Purchases in the US

russellT1307

Likes # 0

I am deliberating as to whether I will purchase the new Microsoft Surface Wifi tablet and as I am visiting the US shortly it would seem to make sense to purchase it there as it will be that much cheaper than in the UK. However, is there ANY reason for me not to do this? will I have any sort of compatibility problems or is the key board different etc??

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You will need to check whether the warranty extends to UK and how difficult it would be to return it if there was a fault. Will the charger have the correct plug (although an adaptor will suffice). Be prepared to pay customs tax on it when you bring it in.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

What Woolwell said. It should be declared on return to the UK and will be subject to tax and duty - which may make it less of a bargain. Warranty may well be an issue. I'm always shocked at how geographically restrictive many household name companies' warranty terms are. Just because MS (or Dell or HP...) is a worldwide company doesn't mean your warranty is valid worldwide. Yes, you could get an adapter for the power supply - a bit of a pain, but do-able. And: I'm not sure how Windows is implemented on the Surface - or whether you get the same ability that you do in desktop Windows to configure languages, keyboards and so on. I'd certainly think hard about it. Oh, and don't forget - advertised US prices are generally subject to local sales tax which, depending on the state, can be between 5% and 8%. Put it like this: it's not necessarily the 'no brainer' good idea you might think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer