We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Sata DVD Writer not responding

views_on_offer

Likes # 0

I installed a new Samsung SATA DVD Writer to replace my old faulty IDE writer. The PC recognises it, but it will not respond, by which I mean the door will not open, and if I open it manually and insert a CD, the PC will not read it. This is the first SATA device I have installed. Have I missed something?

The machine is an emachines 5250, Pentium 4, 1.97Gb RAM running Windows XP Pro, SP3

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Power and data cable connected fully at drive and motherboard?

The sata port may not be enabled in BIOS, does the drive show in device manager?

Like this post
views_on_offer

Likes # 0

Hi, I checked the cables, and both are pushed in well. Also, the DVD writer does show up in Device Manager.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check in BIOS that the SATA port you are connected to is Enabled.

Like this post
views_on_offer

Likes # 0

Hi All, Thanks for reviewing this. Looks like the DVD writer was at fault. Replaced it for a new one and it worked first time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'