We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing XBOX 360 controller for windows

ponytail

Likes # 0

I am trying to install the above item but keep getting the following message. This program is blocked due to compatibility issues check for solutions online. When I do that I get the answer to download updates for XBOX 360 accessories then click to download.Then it says this software vesion is already installed on this system that was because I had done that but still had the same problem,I am using Windows 7.I have a 64 bit operating system.Could someone advise.Thanks

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Not sure if this is any help at all, but a guy who built a PC for my son and installed an X-Box controller said he had to do it 'manually', and point the PC to the specific USB slot into which it was plugged. He seemed to imply that no way was this a 'plug and play' deal.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Thanks Ian in Northampton how would I do what you suggest as have not done anything like this before.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Windows 7 should install an Xbox 360 controller without any need for the user to install / configure anything. It's supposed to be a case of you plug in the receiver, Windows installs it itself and that's it, you have a working controller. I've used one on many computers running Windows 7 and not once encountered a problem.

Are you using an official Microsoft receiver or is it a third party one?

Did you install the Xbox 360 accessories before you plugged it in for the first time? If so, I'd suggest uninstalling everything you can that is related to the controller and the accessory thing that you installed (ie. uninstall driver from Device Manager, uninstall program from Programs and Features and delete any associated files that you can find). Then plug the receiver back in and allow Windows to configure it automatically.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

HiD@ve nothing is listed in programs and features so cannot un-install the items but they are listed in all programs.How would the driver be listed in device manager

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

If you open Device Manager from the Control Panel then plug in the controller, it should appear in the list. If so, right click it and press Uninstall. If it is greyed out then that implies that no driver has been installed for it yet.

"but they are listed in all programs"

What name are they listed as?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes