We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8 upgrade, advice re installation

athenrye

Likes # 0

hi ive got my dell laptop running vista 64bit, ive saved all my pics and files etc to a stand alone external HD

ive reset it to factory settings to clear all the junk...

im now ready to install my windows 8 upgrade, my questions is, i have a recovery hard drive which dell have on the comps, what will happen with the installation of windows 8?

will i still have a recovery drive, what will be on it?

i see that microsoft offer a DVD as well as download for £12, whats the benefit of having a disk as well as the downlaod?

any other issues i might encounter or is it easy to do the install?

thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Steps to follow before upgrading to Windows 8 enter link description here

The recovery hard drive that you refer to or factory restore is normally on a reserved or protected part of your current hard drive and hidden until it is required so should not be affected.

You don't need to shell out any cash for the DVD as Windows 8 upgrade assistant will ask if you want to burn the O.S to a DVD so that you will always have a hard copy. See here for additional information enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry - here is Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant correct link enter link description here

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

cheers for that so if i want to reset to factory again ill go back to vista

can i then reinstall the windows 8 from the dvd i have burned so its re install as many times as you like?

cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Yes to both - but you will need to save your licence key for Windows 8 in a safe place for future installs.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Please note - If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro.

If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps.(programs)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

athenrye - just to make it clearer on my last bit re:upgrading to Windows 8 from Vista.

Vista - If you have Vista Service Pack 1 installed, you will be able to keep personal files and system settings, but you'll have to reinstall applications. If you don't have SP1 installed, only personal files will be retained.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

athenrye - further - you may want to take a look at these comments from another Post before biting the bullet - enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite