We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what pc should i buy for gaming

edelliott1

Likes # 0

hi i have been a gamer for a while on xbox and ps3 but i want to get a computer for gaming what should i buy and what should be the minimum stats for it (i3 i5 i7 4gb ram 8gb that sort of thing) ed

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Yes, it's annoying. This is the only forum it seems to be a problem on. Links are always an issue.

If you click on my Chillblast link, that should take you to the "Ivy". Then if you go through "customise", and just make the 4 changes I listed above, that should come to £606 total. It would be better to have 8GB RAM, but 4 is OK, unless you can up budget a bit.

All you need to do is add graphics card ASAP.

Like this post
edelliott1

Likes # 0

ahh okay thanks a lot and would you recomend a 660 gpu?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

If you have no particular preference between nVidia and AMD, it rather depends what games you like. In the sub £200 bracket, probably the best value card is the MSI TwinFrozr HD7870 @ £181. That has consistantly good performance across a wide range of games. It beats the slightly cheaper MSI TwinFrozr GTX660 @ £166, in most games, by a reasonable margin. However, some popular games favour nVidia, including BF3, Borderlands 2, Starcraft, and Portal 2. In those particular games, the cheaper GTX660 actually slightly beats the dearer HD7870.

The same sort of thing applies to the next cards, up the line, the HD7950 @ £250, and the GTX660Ti @ £227.

Hope that makes sense.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...