We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any spec. suggestions for my new £500 laptop?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've got £500 to spend on a new laptop, and I'd welcome any recommendations, not necessarily for a specific machine (although go ahead if you feel like it!) but generally what I should look for in terms of spec.

My heaviest uses are:

• A lot of Photoshop work
  • Storage for loads of image files (I'm a photography enthusiast)
  • A fair amount of DTP work (Serif PagePlus)
  • A certain amount of simple website construction (Serif WebPlus)
  • Possibly getting into a bit of music composition with SoundForge Audio Studio

All thoughts and recommendations gratefully received.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This one looks good, http://www.johnlewis.com/231740104/Product.aspx , for £500 but has Win 8 installed.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, rdave13. Yes, it looks good value-for-money.

My only problem is the size - a 17" screen is going to make for quite a big machine, and I think I'd prefer a maximum screen size below 16".

Do you think a Core i3 processor will have sufficient power to handle my needs speedily, or should I try to hang out for a Core i5?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I think you would need to have at least a Core i5 with 4 cores or an AMD Phenom X4. I have both and I can say the Core i5 with 4 cores is much faster in processing. In your case, you would also need at least 8g of ram and choose one with a dedicated graphics card. Some come with 1g ddr3 memory. I think this would speed up photoshop processing and music work. Ones with AMD are cheaper so the choice is yours. At present I am using an Acer Aspire 5552 AMD Phenom IIx4 N930 with 8g Ram and dedicated graphics card. The other one is a Packard Bell ( same company, Acer) EasyNote TK 87 with Core i5 and 6g ddr3 Ram but with Intel HD Graphics. The latter is noticeably faster but I have less programmes on it so that might make a difference. Also if there is a choice go for a H/D at 72000 as opposed to 52000. Both are less than £500.

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

That's very useful information, rickf, thank you. I'll check out those models.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room