We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mid range ultrabook advice to replace netbook

s12345

Likes # 0

hello all

If anyone has time for advice, I'd be grateful. I think I will soon be replacing a 4 year old Samsung NC10 which I have loved but is not economical to keep repairing (screen / fan issues). I might even order this weekend so anyone who has speedy advice would be most appreciated.

I need the following things:

• Portability. I am used to the NC10 weight of 1.2kgs, I travel a lot and I don't want to lug around some great 16 inch screen. I am thinking screen between 11 and 14 inches. I also want to be able to walk the 2.5 miles to uni each day with it.
  • Something relatively durable, due to the travel.
  • A reasonable amount of storage space. I keep minimum 60GB of stuff on my C drive currently
  • Better RAM than I have now (not hard!)
  • Ability to do a few things at once (i.e. write essay, research something, watch movie etc.
  • Ethernet port
  • Abliity to plug in my external hard drives (USB 2.0) to play movies / backup etc
  • Comfortable keyboard for writing dissertation

Stuff I don't need: - Optical drive - Ability to do any kind of gaming / fancy graphics (nothing beyond watching a movie is even slightly necessary) - Massive shiny screen

In an ideal world, I'd maybe like a macbook air, but I can't afford it and am unconvinced I would want to switch to mac anyway. Probably a better option for me would be the Samsung 9 Series but again too expensive and possibly too fancy.

So I have come to the conclusion I need an ultrabook, but not one of the super fancy ones. My budget is max £700, preferably less.

So far I am looking at these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Seri...1349763&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SVT1311...1349785&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Zenbook...1349820&sr=1-1

Any thoughts or advice on these ones please? Are there other similar ones I am missing for a decent price??

I would also wonder whether getting windows 8 would be a good idea at this moment? I am still on XP!

Thanks very much in advance

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers