We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't reinstall windows on a Netbook

kjrider

Likes # 0

A friend has given me his Inspiron 910 Netbook to reinstall Windows XP home. It is a 1ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM, 7Gb SSD.

I plug in a USB CD drive, and the Windows install CD seems to go OK, until it restarts, and goes back to the CD, trying to install it again. (It comes up with 'no operating syste.')

I have followed the manual exactly to do a reinstall - any idea what I am doing wrong?

My own laptop, I fitted a 120Gb SSD and have had no trouble with it.

KJR

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure but have you gone into the Bios and made sure the 1st boot device is the CD.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You say all seems to go well until a restart - when that happens you will probably receive the message "press any key to reboot from CD" - you should ignore that and let it reboot as it wants. You only "press any key" the first time it appears at the very beginning of the reinstall.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

until it restarts,

take the cd out it should then try to start of the SSD provided the SDD is recognised as a boot device in BIOS.

Like this post
kjrider

Likes # 0

Thank you. I have checked the bios, and changed it from HD to CD boot, etc. When I take the CD out, it comes up with 'operating system not found.'

Someone suggested it might have been a virus, so I used DBAN to get rid of anything that might have stayed on the SSD, without any difference.

Any ideas welcome.

KJR

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

Are there any marks or scratches on the disc?

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Hi kjrider

Not wishing to hi-jack your thread but I am experiencing an identical problem with a Dell mini.

I am borrowing an external cd drive tomorrow and hope to be able to re-install xp.

What were you going to do about the drivers? Is there such a thing as a single download which will let you have them all?

Before you started this was your battery charging? The model I have gave the message 'plugged in: not charging'!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have checked the bios, and changed it from HD to CD boot,

CD boot as first boot

HDD as second

if only bootdevice is set as CD this is why no op system when CD removed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK