We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin (so called) "superhub" issues

danpep5552

Likes # 0

I upgraded to 30mb with virgin and have of course now encountered “issues” with the superhub. Yes the internet is faster, but the signal around the house is not as good as my 10 year old Belkin. The main problem I have is that whenever I put the PC into hibernate, sleep, or turn off, my other devices lose the signal (BB, IPad, Iphone Samsung Gal,especailly the BB and this is only 12 feet away). This is solved if I reboot the Virgin hub even with the Pc in standby or off. This happens on a daily basis. What has the pc got to do with the hub when it comes to the signal around the house? I will probably use an additional router but has anybody else had the same issue? Thanks DP.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe change channels on it.Mind you the latest ones do it automatically for you.

You could use the Superhub as a modem and plug your old Router into that and use that just to see if it is any better.

Have you looked for any updates for it.I know within the last month Virgin did have a new update for it.Whether it was done automatically or through windows updates I am not sure.

Virginmedia's forum is pretty good have a look on there and see if you can pick up any tips.Or join then post your problem.

http://community.virginmedia.com/

If you also have the phone package you can phone them free on 150 and just tell them you signal is not as good as it was with your old router.

They will probably do a check on it to see if they can boost it a bit.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It seems to be a problem with the Superhub. There are over 400 posts about it virginmedia community. Wish you well!

Like this post
danpep5552

Likes # 0

Thanks I telephoned them and predictably I have had to reset the hub, wait a few days to see if all OK then call them again and they will replace.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You will probably find a few fixes for it on there forum so worth a browse.

Have you right clicked on the Wireless icon on the taskbar to see if any of your neighbours have a good signal as well.If so sometimes better changing what channel you actually use.

Just read your problem again and the problem starts when you switch the computer off.Thats a bit of an odd one.I suppose you have put the correct password into all of your other machines.Do you still get a good signal connection showing when your computer is switched off and you use your laptop.But no internet.And do all 3 lights stay on on the Superhub.

Have you tried going into the superhub settings and having a look.Don't change anything unless you know what you are doing.

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and click enter.

Type, admin for username

And changeme for Password

Click on Advanced settings.Then Wifi settings and just have a look around.

Since you reset the hub has it worked ok or just the same.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1E - I posted a link to their forum and the thread that discusses this.

This is a known problem and it would appear that ultimately a firmware upgrade is required and you can sign up to receive the upgrades. There are work rounds suggested in the link. The main one is to use the superhub (called superdud frequently) as the modem with another router connected to it.

danpep5552 - I suggest you refer Virgin to that forum thread.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have to agree with danpep5552,Why it is called a superhub I have no idea.It gives you the impression that it should be better than most when the opposite applies.

I have one and so does my daughter and she has had loads of problems with hers.

I think the old Netgear Router gave a far better signal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features