We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wi-Fi extenders recommendation please

Doberman

Likes # 0

I get a poor wifi signal in my conservatory and upstairs.Do wi-fi extenders work and can anyone recommend a suitable one.At the moment I have a standard router from Virgin Media sited next to my computer and connected to it by ethernet cable.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

HomeplugsI use these, initially two plugs are needed. They are great!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Agree homeplugs work really well but if you really need wifi I coupled and old router to a homeplug to achieve the desired effect so get the best of both worlds.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 1

Your router should have two ethernet outlet sockets, one to feed the computer next to it and the other for ethernet cable to the Homeplug in a nearby mains socket.

I've been using a Devolo 500 and ittransmits perfectly to other end of house even though it's not on the same ring circuit. But you must have both ring circuits coming from same consumer unit, if your conservatory is fed by a totally stand alone supply then you MAY have a problem but probably not.

Maplin have a special cheap offer at the moment, you could always take them back there if they don't work.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

I'd go for this setup Homeplugs with wireless.

Like this post
Doberman

Likes # 0

Thanks to all responders.Will try all suggestions.Many thanks

Like this post
thanh

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings