We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freecause.com Problem

Tracey73

Likes # 0

Since yesterday I have been having a problem with my laptop when I search the internet. Some searches take me to the relevant websites (but they load a lot slower than normal), but now and again pages take much longer to load and then I am redirected to Freecause.com with a message about a DNS error. I've spent all evening reading up about Freecause and trying to get rid of it but to no avail. I run Eset NOD32 antivirus and Spybot, but neither of those pick up on the problem. I've also tried Malwarebytes and Microsoft Safety Scanner, both say no threat found aswell. My laptop runs Windows 7 and I use Internet Explorer 9, mainly Google but also Yahoo search.

If anybody could offer any advice I would very grateful. Thank you!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You should set your browser to "not allow redirect" in Browser Settings if Firefox go to tools/Options

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May be a good IDEA to clear all your Internet History and Cookies

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try a System Restore back to before this started.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you have the Nectar Toolbar by any chance?

I found this info about Freecause.com on Beepingcomputer.com it seems that you get redirected through the Freecause in order to collect points.

Like this post
Tracey73

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for all your replies. I'm beginning to think I didn't have a problem but the fault lay with my internet conection.
I did have the Nectar toolbar but I'd had it for well over a year without any problems, but I tried uninstalling the toolbar last night anyway to see if it made a difference. The Freecause page didn't appear again but still pages were taking forever to download. I tried system restore, clearing cookies etc, altering browser settings - everything recommended but it was still playing up, sometimes pages loading as normal and other times taking forever, odd occasions displaying "cannot connect to the internet". I was convinced it was a virus or spyware until I spoke to my dad this morning who is with the same ISP (BT) - he has been having the same problems and only over the last two days like me. I did check BT's system status and there were problems in our area yesterday and the day before, but they were apparently resolved by late afternoon, so I assumed it wasn't that. This morning everything seems to be back to normal with pages loading straight away, so I can only assume it was BT's end causing the problems.

Thanks again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert