We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now a major panic

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, gentlemen,

Last week some of you very kindly responded and diagnosed that my CMOS battery was dead and to replace it. Well, I have and I had two problems!! One – not being connected to the internet, or “local area connection disabled” as Microsoft put it – I have managed to correct, but the other................

I should emphasise that my programmes all appear to work normally.

I don’t know if I – entirely inadvertently I assure you – have provoked any of the following. The existing battery was listed as “KTS Lithium battery Japan STD CR2032”, whereas when I asked in Maplin’s if they had any they said yes and gave me one that is listed as “ATC”.

Ok I made a mistake when I first booted it up after installing the new battery, as I got the logo up, including saying to press “DEL to enter set up. To be honest I was more interested in changing the date and time, which I did. I then clicked on some of the icons in the area at the bottom of the screen whereby you get – well, almost – straight into programmes. As this was working fine I shut down, re-started, still had the logo but I pressed “DEL” and got into the setup. I couldn’t find anything about the CMOS setup, and started to get annoyed with myself. I eventually found it under “ASUSTek D.C. Profile Utility B318”. [ I will next describe rather than try and show what happened because whatever I do, when it is displayed it will get changed and be a meaningless drivel! ]

There were two boxes alongside one another; one had “Current CMOS” and the other “UPDATE CMOS”. Within the left hand box there were three items: “Board: P5N – E SCI”, “VER: 0202” and “DATE: 11/22/2006”. In the other box it had the same three headings with “UNKNOWN” against each. There was a gap with “Path C:\”.

Below this were two further boxes, not evenly spit but about 30/70 – left to right. The left hand box had “A:” and underneath it “C:\”. The right hand box was empty. Underneath this was a single box across the entire screen, with “NOTE” within the top line of the box. Within it, it had “[ENTER] Load BIOS file”, alongside that there was “[ESC] Exit”, underneath these two were “[TAB] Switch” and alongside this was “[UP/DOWN/HOME/END] Move”.

No matter what I did I could not get into the top right hand box to even enter the same things, even if the version and date are incorrect! [ By way of passing the date/time I got before I changed the battery was 31st December 2005 23.01 hors, so I do not understand where 22nd of November 2006 came from. As I said I missed going into setup the first time, but apart from stupidity my other argument is that it went back and re-booted itself and I didn’t have to press ‘F1’ as it went straight in as normal.

If someone can tell me how to get out of this mess I have created I would be very grateful. I mean I do not know whether the version number, 0202, is the latest and to be honest I don’t really care as I know – presumably – that that works as everything was OK while the battery was working. As for what date to put in I have no idea if putting in an incorrect date will send the computer in to a tail spin. All I want to know is how I get in to get the update completed, and what date I should use.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded but I want to give as much information as you could possibly need.

Many, many thanks for any and all help I receive.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning, everyone,

Many thanks for all the replies, but in my rush to try and describe what was wrong I think I have, inadvertently I hope, misled you!!

Nobody has said anything about the battery, and I am assuming that the different one makes no difference. I had thought so, but it is nice to get confirmation. I think my main error/mistake/whatever was that I had also assumed that I would have to do an update to the CMOS data to get everything back running normally, but as it is working OK now, I am forced to think that the basic data was correct. It is only the Intel logo that I want to get rid of.

Forum Editor, may I say in regard to your comment that the CMOS data only stays for 'a short time', or as you put it "the memory drains quite rapidly". As the battery was dead, and I don't know how long it had been like that, I never realised that I could get the original data, but would think that the data had long since disappeared. One point that has since occured to me is that if you have a, say, 5 year plus old battery and you are going away for more than a week whilst disconnecting your computer from the web and switching off your router, would it be worthwhile leaving your computer on so that the problems I had on my return would not manifest themselves?

The first thing I did after installation was to alter date and time through control panel. When I realised - later - that I hadn't gone into setup as I booted I shut down the computer completely, then booted and what I got was the Intel Logo, but was NOT asked to press F1 to continue, and the whole start up procedure carried on as normal, and when the desktop appeared the date and time were correct! So I thought that everything had corrected itself. I did think of putting a post on here to say that everything was OK, but there is an irratation and that is the Intel logo still appears, and I would prefer to get rid of it, if it is possible. It just appears on screen, stays there and then everything just carries on!

If anyone has any idea(s) on this I would be very grateful for and and all suggestions.

Once more many, many thsnkd to everyone for their posts.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As long as the battery is a standard CR2032 then that's fine. The FE said that "when the battery is removed" the memory drains quite rapidly. When it is in place that doesn't happen - even if it is dead. The CMOS battery should last at least five years in most cases.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CMOS only uses battery when PC is disconnected from mains

if switched off but left plugged in with mains socket switched on, there is a very small trickle current holding the CMOS charged.

My PC is plugged in through a power strip, PC in master socket, router printer monitor etc. in slave sockets. PC remains connected to mains but all other sockets are powered off automatically when PC is shut down. Power strip also contains a surge suppressor to help protect against everything except lightning strikes:0)

PC is nearly 8 yrs old and still using original CMOS battery.

The battery will not last forever as all batteries have a "shelf life" even when not being used.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You should be able to disable Intel Logo in BIOS setup

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

woodchip,

Many, many thanks. I, eventually, managed to find the BIOS setting and changed it to 'DISABLED' from 'ENABLED', pressed 'F10' which did the 'save and exit'. I was then going to wait about 30 seconds for things to settle down, and then re-boot but 'F10' does that as well and then everything came in as normal!!!

One thing I did when I was going through the BIOS settings was I found under 'ADVANCED' something listed as "SLI Broadcast Aperture" and changed that from 'DISABLED' to 'AUTO'. This was before I found the what turned out to be the logo setting. Have you any idea what I have done? Does it matter? I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this!!

To everyone one else, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to do your posts!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Possibly not needed for your system but not a problem when set to auto. See this from another forum:

SLI Broadcast Aperture should always be set to "on" or "auto" when the choice is offered in the system BIOS. Some motherboards enable this feature automatically and some do not. The bottom line is that, when enabled, this feature improves SLI communication and can provide a performance benefit in many gaming applications

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin,

Many thanks for that, and it would appear from your post that, in my ignorance, I may have inadvertently increased my computer's performance!!! Really excellent, and many thanks for your post.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Good afternoon,

I hope it is just not me, but I have been very busy the last few days, and have not had a chance to check the site. However I decided I had better and logged in a couple of minutes ago. I check in 'My Posts' to see if there are any new posts I should look at and I found in my last post that 'wiz-king' - I apologise if I have spelt your name incorrectly - had added a post to it. I looked but could not find it!!! The last post is given as one from myself on 28th October, whereas it sates that 'wiz-king's' was 'two days ago!!!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, because I am thoroughly confused!! All suggestions/explanations welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Post may have been "spam" and therefore removed by the forum editor.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, probably a spam post and wiz-king did the usual 'FE Informed' post when he reported it and then FE deletes both posts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?