We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now a major panic

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, gentlemen,

Last week some of you very kindly responded and diagnosed that my CMOS battery was dead and to replace it. Well, I have and I had two problems!! One – not being connected to the internet, or “local area connection disabled” as Microsoft put it – I have managed to correct, but the other................

I should emphasise that my programmes all appear to work normally.

I don’t know if I – entirely inadvertently I assure you – have provoked any of the following. The existing battery was listed as “KTS Lithium battery Japan STD CR2032”, whereas when I asked in Maplin’s if they had any they said yes and gave me one that is listed as “ATC”.

Ok I made a mistake when I first booted it up after installing the new battery, as I got the logo up, including saying to press “DEL to enter set up. To be honest I was more interested in changing the date and time, which I did. I then clicked on some of the icons in the area at the bottom of the screen whereby you get – well, almost – straight into programmes. As this was working fine I shut down, re-started, still had the logo but I pressed “DEL” and got into the setup. I couldn’t find anything about the CMOS setup, and started to get annoyed with myself. I eventually found it under “ASUSTek D.C. Profile Utility B318”. [ I will next describe rather than try and show what happened because whatever I do, when it is displayed it will get changed and be a meaningless drivel! ]

There were two boxes alongside one another; one had “Current CMOS” and the other “UPDATE CMOS”. Within the left hand box there were three items: “Board: P5N – E SCI”, “VER: 0202” and “DATE: 11/22/2006”. In the other box it had the same three headings with “UNKNOWN” against each. There was a gap with “Path C:\”.

Below this were two further boxes, not evenly spit but about 30/70 – left to right. The left hand box had “A:” and underneath it “C:\”. The right hand box was empty. Underneath this was a single box across the entire screen, with “NOTE” within the top line of the box. Within it, it had “[ENTER] Load BIOS file”, alongside that there was “[ESC] Exit”, underneath these two were “[TAB] Switch” and alongside this was “[UP/DOWN/HOME/END] Move”.

No matter what I did I could not get into the top right hand box to even enter the same things, even if the version and date are incorrect! [ By way of passing the date/time I got before I changed the battery was 31st December 2005 23.01 hors, so I do not understand where 22nd of November 2006 came from. As I said I missed going into setup the first time, but apart from stupidity my other argument is that it went back and re-booted itself and I didn’t have to press ‘F1’ as it went straight in as normal.

If someone can tell me how to get out of this mess I have created I would be very grateful. I mean I do not know whether the version number, 0202, is the latest and to be honest I don’t really care as I know – presumably – that that works as everything was OK while the battery was working. As for what date to put in I have no idea if putting in an incorrect date will send the computer in to a tail spin. All I want to know is how I get in to get the update completed, and what date I should use.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded but I want to give as much information as you could possibly need.

Many, many thanks for any and all help I receive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The only thing you should alter in the CMOS (BIOS) is the date.

In Microsoft Windows When you go online the Windows time will sync with the internet time. Rightclick on the Time, select adjust Date/Time, and make sure you have ticked to Automatically sync with an Internet time server.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I'm struggling to follow exactly what the problem is now. I see that somehow you've ended up in the update BIOS section, but presumably you didn't have an updated BIOS file to update it with? So then what happened? Did you restart?

What exactly is the problem right now? Can you boot in to Windows? Does it take you straight to the BIOS when you switch on ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

D@ve, Housten does not want to flash the bios. The only problem is a flat cmos battery (been flat for 2 or 3 weeks when came back from holiday) so the motherboard clock is wrong time. New cmos battery has been put in but as yet time has not been sync'ed with Internet Time Server.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Housten, This is what you need to do www.ehow.com/how computer-clock quite often you will have problems connecting to your ISP Internet if your clock is way out, especially the year, so put the clocks as near the correct time as you can and then sync with Internet Time Server.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I see. I was aware Housten wasn't intentionally trying to flash the BIOS, but the title threw me a bit - it implied something more serious than an incorrect time was up with the system. I thought perhaps he was locked out of his system somehow.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When you changed the battery, to cut a long story short you lost all the CMOS settings. You need to go into CMOS setup and select Default Settings first to see how it goes from there. Your Cmos settings or your PC may entail you tapping Del key as it starts, to change settings you have to use the keyboard arrow keys and enter key plus page up page down etc, instructions on how to use the CMOS settings are normally bottom corner of CMOS screen. after setting defaults save settings and restart pc

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

thank you woodchip, I forgot about cmos default settings. (hope I didn't forget anything else)

Housten, Remember to save your changes before you exit cmos (bios) settings.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think there's some confusion here between the CMOS and the BIOS.

CMOS stands for Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor. In simple terms a CMOS is a small chip that constantly holds the date, the time,and some basic system setup information. The information is held in a small amount of memory, and the chip uses a tiny amount of power from the battery to do that.

When you remove the battery the memory drains quite rapidly, and your computer no longer knows what the date is, or the time of day.

BIOS stands for Basic Input and Output System. It uses the CMOS information each time you boot the computer, and it enables your CPU to communicate with the various hardware components inside the case - the various drives, the RAM modules, and so on. The white text you see when the computer first starts is the BIOS at work.

When you are going to change the CMOS battery it's always a good idea to enter your computer's BIOS first - usually by pressing the DEL key as soon as you see the white text - and make a note of the various settings. Then, when you've changed the battery, go into the BIOS again as the machine boots, and change the date and time, checking the other settings against the list you made.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Bit late for that FE

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I like a little refresher here and there so thanks FE, never too late for a little refresher

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features