We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stupid Things I Have Done Part Deux

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

OK, this is a problem, not a solution.

I had waaaay too many software CDs/DVDs cluttering up my office. One wet Sunday afternoon, I had a brainwave. I'd back them all up to an external drive, saving myself loads of space and giving me the option to reinstall them direct from the hard drive if necessary.

I then chucked the disks in the bin...

... before I'd checked to see if what has been copied was what needed to be copied... :-(

I just came to reinstall a piece of software, and discovered that nowhere - but nowhere - is there a setup.exe file in the backed-up version.

I checked others - and in the large majority of cases, I have the same problem.

As such, the backup files I have are useless - and the original CDs/DVDs are long gone.

Unless someone out there knows better.

I don't know whether for some reason the setup.exe files didn't copy or whether, in fact, there never were setup.exe files on the original media.

I'm guessing that just about all the CDs/DCDs were autorun-enabled. Does that mean they wouldn't have had a setup.exe file?

So: is the solution to my problem as simple (and as tedious...) as copying the relevant files back to blank media, but making the media autorun-capable?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Oh, and - a warning to us all not to get smart with software... :-(

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I also dislike hindsight but some of those discs must also have had copyright software on them, preventing copying :(.

Woolwell's idea is best if you have the licence keys.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Oops - I completely overlooked Woolwell's post (sorry/thanks Woolwell). That could be a great idea. I have the license keys, so I'm hoping that I can download the trial versions and there will be some way I can enter the key to unlock it to a full version. Stay tuned...

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...