We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does Microsoft phone you and ask for details?

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, an odd title for an odd question, I frequently get phone calls from India saying that they represent Microsoft and that I have sent error messages and they will help me fix the problems. Then they start asking details which I refuse to supply. Have any of you had similar calls? Also how do they know my phone number as Microsoft don`t as far as I know. Seems like some kind of scam to me, what do you think?

Ray

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's a SCAM read answers.microsoft.com just hang up or tell them you don't have a pc or you could swear at the thieving gits first.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic, I thought so.

(Post edited by FE to remove unacceptable wording)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...or you could swear at the thieving gits first.

That's just the kind of crass advice we can do without. Using abusive language over the telephone is an offence under the terms of the Communications Act 2003, and carries a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment.

We're not here to encourage others to commit criminal offences, and the use of profanities in posts - even when thinly disguised with asterisks, etc. will not be tolerated.

If you receive a hoax call from someone pretending to be from Microsoft, simply put the phone down, it's not necessary to engage in conversation, and certainly not necessary to use obscene language to the person at the other end.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

My apologies to all, clearly inappropriate behavior by myself, will not happen again.

Ray

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's us told.... apologies for encouraging verbal retorts to con artists trying to rob over the phone. Must remember to be nice to them and just hang up when they ring every day for weeks on end trying to con me into parting with my hard earned cash.

I didn't realise it could be me that ends up a convicted criminal and go to jail. I foolishly thought I was using 'reasonable (verbal) force' to defend myself and my property.

I suppose they could always report me for swearing - would make an interesting court case....

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

Don't go all petulant on me - you made a mistake, it's not the end of the world, everyone does it from time to time.

Fake phone calls are a menace, and very irritating, but the best policy really is to put the phone down. You don't need to "defend myself and my property" with bad language, and nobody can con you into parting with anything if you don't speak to them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bumpkin

Thank you - no harm done.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

My fault entirely Lotvic, did not mean to involve you. I am sure a lot of people would agree with you on how to deal with these pests. It was my use of bad language on this site that seems to have caused offense which I can understand. It is a helproom and my comment hardly met the "helpful" criteria.

Ray

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hello

See my post on this - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4172649/annoying-scam-phone-calls-allegedly-from-microsoft/

TeamViewer and LogMeIn were very grateful for the info I provided.

Telling them you run Linux gets rid of them pretty quick as well.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, petulant? - you talkin' to me?

Not petulant, but guilty of sarcasm - the lowest form of wit.

However, I have apologised, and do so again, for encouraging (on an open forum) verbal retorts to con artists.

bumpkin, not your fault at all. It was me that suggested swearing at the gits. And if FE tells me off for encouraging it, then that's my fault for suggesting it.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more