We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advent Laptop-No sound but Device manager saying ok?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has an Advent laptop (Vista) and the sound doesn't seem to work? There are no yellow exclamation marks in device manager so im stuck. The icon is not muted. Please can i ask for some help?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Check the speaker Icon Near clock that Sound is not Muted, also you can go to Control Panel sounds, check the laptop is using the correct sound device and sound turned up. Could also be the keyboard press fn key and sound volume up key

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks. Ok, it is not muted. Control panel-sounds-playback and the icons say 'working' but i notice in the 'sounds' tab, it is using 'Windows default (modified)' and not 'Windows default'? Shall i change it?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Would be best to test it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Is the sound turned up on the Laptop, check all volume controls

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Yes, everything turned up and i've tried 'Windows default' too. However, i have noticed that in control panel-sounds, under the 'sounds' tab 'Play windows startup sound' is ticked but underneath that 'Sounds' and 'none' is greyed out?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You could try Control Panel and Sounds and Audio. On the Audio tab under Sound playback click Advanced. Under Speakers check that Speaker Setup is pointing to the correct combination - eg Laptop mono (or stereo) speakers. If it is wrong change it and click Apply.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

'You could try Control Panel and Sounds and Audio. On the Audio tab under Sound playback click Advanced.'

Hi, it goes Control panel-sounds and three tabs: 'Playback', 'recording' and 'sounds'? No 'Audio'?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, anyone?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Playback, recording and sounds is what I have on my Vista laptop. On Playback - chose your speakers and check configuration.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes sorry - Playback

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks