We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email formatting: How can I reply to an email in coloured ink?

Trenny
Resolved

Likes # 0

Sometimes the formatting bar shows, but more often it does not?

I want to write my replies in red against the questions in an email.

Help much appreciated.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You will need to tell us what you use for e-mails eg Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird or webmail.

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

Sorry - windows mail on a Vista laptop. I am sure that there used t be a formatting bar shown when replying as well as writing emails.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In Windows Live Mail Go to Tools > Options > Compose Tab > Font Settings

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Some time since I used Windows Mail and then only briefly. My understanding is that the format bar doesn't show for plain text. From another forum: "Either click on Format and select Rich Text (HTML), or go to Tools | Options | Send and uncheck: Reply to messages in the format they were sent."

Like this post  
Trenny

Likes # 0

Woolwell, I think that you my have cracked it BUT I was in plain text and have just changed it over to HTML and it seems to have done the trick! I'll see what happens when I restart etc.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You will need to do both parts of Woolwell's solution. If somebody mails you using plain text then you won't get the format bar unless you uncheck Reply to messages in the format they were sent even if you are using HTML to write mail.

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

Many thanks, all. All sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...