We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google - How can I get Google to be my primary search engine?

Trenny
Resolved

Likes # 0

Google - How can I get Google to be my primary search engine? At the moment I have ASK, which I do not get along with!Sometimes Babylon comes up.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If babylon comes up you may have problems.Ask is always another hard one to remove.

Maybe give your security programs a run.

What Browser do you use.I have to go out but there will be others that will give you the help that you need.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Firefox - To Change Default Search in Firefox - In your address bar, type in: “about:config”

Inside of the filter search box, type in:

browser.search.defaultenginename

Double click that entry (or right click and choose “Modify”) and then type in the name of the search engine you wish to have as the default search engine. It must be one that you already have installed and also make sure you type in the name correctly.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You have to be careful with Java updates as unless you untick the box Ask gets installed.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If using Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - General Tab - Home page - Type in http://google.co.uk - Apply - OK

Like this post
Trenny

Likes # 0

Hmm... I am going to keep things as they are. It sounds safer, having read verious other threads online.Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Safer ?? There should not be any problem, you are only changing a search engine.

Northumbria. It is not the home page that is wanted, just to be able to use Google as the search engine.

If using Firefox, just click on the down arrow in the search box top right and you should see various serach engines, just click on the one you want as default. You will also see the option to "Manage Search Engine "

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

..the option to "Manage Search Engine " and click on the one you want and move up to the top so that it is first in the list.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad